Should my Friend Have a Facelift and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time?

My friend saw a plastic surgeon and he is going to do several procedures on her at the same time involving 8 hours under general anesthesia. Is this advisable?

Having facelift and rhinoplasty at the same time

+1

A facelift and rhinoplasty are certainly an acceptable combination to perform simultaneously.  An 8 hour anesthetic sounds quite lengthy.  In our office those 2 procedures would require a 4 hour anesthetic.  Some patients who undergo 8 hours of anesthesia may be required to spend the night in the hospital due to the hangover from that length of an anesthesia.  It is important to have your anesthesia performed by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.

Combined operative procedures

+1

This is a very good question. It is not uncommon for our patients to undergo multiple procedures (facelift, rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty) in one operative setting. There are multiple benefits with regard to one recovery, time off from work and life activities, and overall costs. I advocate that anesthesia is performed by a board certified anesthesiologist to ensure the absolute best in these circumstances.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Multiple procedures in plastic surgery...

+1

This question can ultimately take a long time to answer.  The general rule of thumb is to keep outpatient procedures under six hours, but that number can change depending on the health of the patient.  A patient with a medical problem like asthma will be better served with a shorter procedure, while a patient in perfect health can certainly tolerate a procedure that is eight hours long.  The decision needs to be made by the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and patient together in the best interest of the patient.  In general, while the risk of anesthesia complications can rise after three hours, this increase is minimal in a healthy patient.  I have performed facelift and rhinoplasty together many times.  Be sure the facility you are using is accredited and/or Medicare certified.  Also, talk to the anesthesiologist about your concerns and make sure your surgeon is board certified. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Facelift are often combined together

+1

In my practice I combine Rhinoplasty, Facelift, Blepharoplasty and other surgeries in conjunction with each other. This does not take me eight hours which seems like an extended amount of time for two procedures. The anesthesiologist will need to clear the patient for this procedure and time frame. The Facelift procedure would be done first if this goes smoothly and time is of no constraint then the surgeon may proceed with the Rhinoplasty. If for some reason the anesthesiologist wants to cut the case short then the patient may need to come back for Rhinoplasty at another time. As stated before and I am sure agreed upon by most surgeons on realself this is a very common practice to combine procedures and multiple procedures are done weekly at my office. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

What can reasonably be accomplished in one surgical procedure

+1

There are a  lot of what ifs involved in the answer to this question.  Things to consider are the patients overall health and the estimated length of each individual procedure.  It is possible that both procedures could be  performed at the same time but this is up to her physician to determine.  If the facelift goes well and she is stable then it may be okay to do the rhinoplasty.   If she is unstable medically then it would be best to come  back another day

+1

Undergoing a simultaneous facelift and rhinoplasty is safe as long as your friend is otherwise healthy. 8 hours is definitely on the long side of the time typically required to perform just a facelift and rhinoplasty. However, the time estimate is dependent upon exactly what procedures the surgeon is planning to perform. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Face Lifts and Rhinoplasty for 25 years and IMHO, 8 hours is too long for elective cosmetic surgery.  It sounds like a traditional Face Lift which can take 5-6 hours and a Rhinoplasty that typically takes an hour or 1 1/2 hours.  Your friend could consider a minimally invasive Face Lift That takes 90 minutes) or having the Rhinoplasty another day.  Plastic and cosmetic surgeons do things differently, so don't be surprised when you get a host of varying opinions.

Combination Facelift and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Certainly a facelift and rhinoplasty can be done at the same time and is not a rare combination. The issues to ponder are the length of the operation and how the combination will affect recovery.  (e.g. swelling, return to work etc) Eight hours is a long time for elective surgery so you have to consider your overall health and that this combination for this length of time will require an overnight stay for medical monitoring and getting you through the rough first night.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty and facelift

+1

A rhinoplasty and facelift can be done at the same time, but if the surgery is very long it might be better to stage them during two different days.

Combining Rhinoplasty And Facelift

+1

Dear Rita,

It is very common to combine a rhinoplasty and a facelift to be performed during the same "surgical session" and in less then 8 hours under the general anesthesia.

However, if the surgeon requires 8 hours to perform both surgeries then the patient will be at higher risks then usual and if the patient gives her/his consent to be anesthetized for 8 hours then it has to be done in a hospital's OR and possibly stay for an overnight observation.

All in all, I would advise your friend to be cautious deciding for an 8 hours surgery under general anesthesia.

Please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS