I am almost 8 months postpartum. Is This my Final Result? (photo)

I am almost 8 months postpartum and have been considering a tummy tuck since 2 months postpartum because I hate what my belly button piercing did to my belly button (severe scarring). I went to a board certified plastic surgeon a few months ago and he told me I am really not a good candidate for a full tummy tuck due to lack of excess skin and he said my scar would most likely be higher than normal. Is this the best my tummy will look after exercise?

Is This my Final Result?

+1

You will likely be a candidate for minitummy tuck, short scar tummy tuck, or perhaps nothing.  This will all depend upon the exam   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Many options for postpartum abdominal contouring

+1

Each patient has different circumstances, and a consultation is needed to sort out what your best options are. These may include umbilicoplasty to improve the appearance of the belly button, standard abdominoplasty (a low scar is usually possible with an upside down "T"), mini abdominoplasty, and more rarely a reverse abdominoplasty if the lower abdomen skin is good but there is laxity in the upper.

Richard Baxter, MD

Is this my final result, or is it?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. This might not be your final result. you can have a mini tummy tuck incision, low in the pubic area and still have your full abdominal muscles plicated. Your umbilicus can be "floated" and you will not need a high scar or a vertical scar. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon versed in this technique, since you consulted with a surgeon who is not familiar in this technique. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Different patients require different operative strategies when considering abdominal wall recontouring.

+1

For the picture it is unlikely that a low scar would allow for all the skin to be removed up to and including the navel. Because of this there might be a vertical component to the umbilical repair where the old navel resided. There are other strategies as well. It does not make you necessarily a good or bad candidate for abdominoplasty just one with some specific issues.