Should my Filled Lip Ultimately End Up Looking Any Larger Than Immediately After It's Done?

I had my top lip filled with Perlane yesterday afternoon and it looked great right after. Later in the evening it got much larger and now I'm wondering if it will go back down to how it looked immediately after it was injected or not?

Changing lip sizes

+1
It sounds like you are having normal post-injecting swelling.  It just needs time to resolve - this may take a week or two.  Once the swelling has gone, then you'll be able to see the final size and shape more accurately.

Swelling from lip filler injections

+1

It is always advisable to wait at least one and preferably two weeks for all of the swelling to resolve before assessing the results of lip filler injections. I also agree that Perlane is not the optimal treatment for lip filler injections. Softer hyaluronic acid gels such as Juvederm are more ideal for lips. Perlane has a higher G’ (elasticity) and G’’ (thicker) than Juvederm which means it is a firmer, more viscous gel. Understanding these differences in the physical characteristics of the hyaluronic acid gel products should enable clinicians to better predict the clinical performance of these products and to optimize patient outcomes.

The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

You are experiencing the normal healing process of injection/swelling/resolution. Best to discuss with your chosen injecting doc. 

First, Perlane is not an ideal agent for lip treatment.

+1
Perlane has a thicker character than Restylane. It has more of a tendency to show a lump than Restylane or Juvederm. Immediately upon injection the lip begins to swell. This is at it's maximum in a few hours and then takes a couple of days to calm down, longer if there has been bruising. So the dramatic fullness does quiet down. A common treatment error is to only provide treatment for the upper lip. The lower lip should always be stronger than the upper lip. This often means providing a balance treatment for both the upper and lower lip. Simply filling the upper lip can create a distinctly unnatural look that is sometimes referred to as a duck lip. If you lip does not settle down, go have a heart to heart with your injecting physician. The good new is that Perlane can be easily adjusted using the enzyme hyaluronidase.

Lip Augmentation

+1

You are experiencing swelling from the filler, which is expected.  Within the next few weeks, it should settle down to how it looked right after the injection.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Filled lip looking larger?

+1

I agree with Dr. Wallach.  It is too soon to tell.  After a week or so, you will get a better idea as to the results of your procedure.  Be patient!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling Swelling

+1

If you liekd how your lip looked initially after filler was placed, and now it looks fuller, it is probalby due to swelling. Give it a few days for the swelling to subside.