My Father Has Myasthenia Gravis, is BOTOX Recommended for Me?

My father has Myasthenia Gravis and he developed the disease when he was still very young, about 40 years old. I don’t know if I’m at risk of developing the disease myself but I’m interested in have a BOTOX application on my forehead. Would I put myself at risk in this case? Would I be increasing the chances of developing the disease given my family history?

Don't worry...hopefully you'll never develop myasthenia gravis like your dad...but the fact that

+2

he has it doesn't impact on whether or not you're a candidate for botox...no greater risk than anyone else...go and get your treatment and enjoy the wonderful results...

Simply discuss the matter with you doctor.

+2

Myasthenia gravis is a relative contraindication to having cosmetic botox.  Having a family history of MG is not.  Your injecting physician can help determine if this is a concern or not.  For peace of mind, you might consider being screened from MG.

Myasthenia gravis and Botox

+2

Family history, your age and sex, all put you at risk of developing Myasthenia Gravis. I would discuss treatment first with your chosen provider and also visit the link below for all contraindications of cosmetic Botox treatments.

Sam Naficy, MD

Medical Clearance for Botox

+1

Thank you for your question. A genetic predisposition to autoimmune disease such as Myasthenia Gravis can run in families, but it is not thought to be directly hereditary. You may want to medically cleared for myasthenia gravis, especially if there are any symptoms prior to botox. I would recommend consulting under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist