My Face is Swollen After Deep Plane Facelift, When Will This And Bruising Subside? Worried About Returning To Work.

It's been 5 days since my facelift. My face is swollen and the chin area is swollen. And there is bruising. Brusing can be covered with makeup but not swelling. My plastic surgeon I could probably return to work in two weeks or maybe even sooner. He said that while I would be ready for "prime time" no one would really notice. I'm panicked because I'm reading the answers that my face will be swollen and bruised. I'll have to quit my job. I can't go back to work like this. Help!

Facelift - Swelling After Deep Plane Facelift

+2

It typically takes several weeks for most of the swelling to subside, and several months for all of it.  Five days post-op is just about the worst time to have to make a judgment on how long it will take for things to settle down but I understand your concerns with this.  You need to, of course, speak with your surgeon about any of the specifics.

I usually tell my patients to plan on being out of work for 10-14 days, depending on exactly what they're having done.  But the entire process is a little unpredictable and so 3 weeks is a slightly safer range to plan for.  Even then, there can be some persistent bruising that may be noticeable.

For sure, though - don't quit that job!  You'll look much better by that, everyone will deal with it, and - in the end - you may be surprised at how little people notice, even if you think it's incredibly obvious.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Face lift swelling 5 days later with bruising

+2

5 days is still really early. At this point you likely have around 10% of your healing. We usually tell people that they will have 60% of their healing / recovery complete by 6 weeks, 80-90% by 6 months. 100% can take as long as 2 years. This is based on wound healing studies and tensile breaking strength of a heal wound.

The healing is actually a slower process that most people think but most of the healing will take place in a week and then one month. If you are swollen, steroids can help taken orally for general swelling. The bruising will jsut take time. I would wear a pressure dressing and have your doctor follow you in a little more to make sure that swelling comes down.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift swelling is normal for up to 12 weeks

+2

Most of my patients experience bruising and swelling for at least 4-8 weeks that is noticeable enough that they feel the need to camouflage and cover up. Between 8-12 weeks the signs are less noticeable, but some swelling still remains. To lesson your swelling AVOID any strenuous activity and bending over...and be patient, it will resolve soon enough.

Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Web reference: http://www.drclevens.com/FAQ-Facelift.html

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after face lift

+2

At about 5 days out, you are at the peak of post-operative swelling.  This is expected and normal, and will subside with time.  I tell my patients not to schedule any big social events for the first month after a facelift.

You can help it by:

1) keeping your head elevated, during the day and at night

2)  using warm compresses

3)  some physicians like arnica and bromelain supplements, although the data on these is a little weak.

Check with your physician to make sure you don't have anything going on that would make swelling worse, like a hematoma or other fluid collection under the skin.

5 days is a bit early to panic over bruising.

+2

Presuming you have another 5 days or more.  A lot of improvement will take place over the next 5 days or so.  Ready for "Prime Time" no one is really ready for prime time 10 days after a facelift.  We advise celebrity clients to  put off TV appearances for at least 4 weeks and movie or photo sessions for 6 weeks.  The camera will easily pick up traces of swelling.  From most social situations that the average person will be dealing with, it really is true that at 2 weeks with a little make up, one can pass in most any social circumstance.  This is provided you don't have profound bruising.  If you have more than normal bruising (no photo so I will take you at your word)  it might take you a little longer to reach this point.

Another issue after surgery is what happens when you are healing from major cosmetic surgery.  It is very common for individuals to be blue or even frankly depressed.  I think this occurs because surgery takes you out of your routine.  Generally treatment is not necessary because as soon as your bruise improves enough that you feel comfortable leaving the cabin, the feels begin to lift.  Day five is often the low point because cabin fever is at its maximum.  So hang in there, I think soon you will feel you have turned a corner.

Deep plane facelift swelling may be more, but will resolve!

+2

After only 5 days, any kind or type of facelift will cause swelling and varying degrees of bruising. By 2 weeks post-op, there will be substantial improvement, but each patient is individual in their amounts of initial swelling and bruising, as well as their body's abiity to reabsorb this. Here are a few things to do to help the healing process along:

• Avoid lifting, straining, or any strenuous activities that might raise your blood pressure or pulse--this could worsen the swelling, or even cause bleeding and re-operation.
  • Don't lay flat (sleep with head slightly above heart level) for 3 weeks after surgery; this way, gravity helps continuously resolve swelling.
  • Don't take pain medication on an empty stomach--this could cause nausea and vomiting. This is most important for the night after surgery and the next day or so, so this should not be an issue for you, but may help other paients reading this answer.
  • Start a stool softener the day after surgery so pain medication, reduced activity, and the after-effects of anesthesia (all of these slow the gut and can cause constipation) don't give you a reason to strain in the restroom!
  • Don't stress about returning to work; worrying only increases your blood pressure and increases the very things you are worried about--bruising and/or swelling.
  • Take Arnica Montana, which is a homeopathic oral medication that helps reduce bruising. Though not a pharmaceutical, I believe this really works, and we supply it to all of our facial surgery patients. (You can find this without a prescription at a health foods store.)
  • Don't remove cover make-up too vigorously! Let your tissues heal.

Swelling after deep-plane facelift tends to be more severe and long-lasting than after SMAS or skin-only facelifts, which is one reason I have not been a big fan of subperiosteal lifts. Excellent plastic surgeons obtain good results from this operation, however, so you should expect this as well.

It sounds as if your doctor has explained recovery expectations appropriately--you won't be ready for a photo shoot or one-on-one interview, but you will likely look just fine after 2 weeks of healing. And since you will look more youthful and "rested," of course people may notice! If you planned on looking exactly the same (so no one would notice), then you perhaps set yourself up for your present anxiety! Don't worry, most acquaintances won't look at your appearance as critically as you do, and even if there are subtle differences in how you look (of course there will be), only the busybodies will be rude enough to comment. Just smile sweetly and say "Thank you for noticing!"

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/face-procedures/face-lift

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after a facelift

+2

Please stay calm as it has only been 5 days and direct all your concerns back to your own surgeon.  Getting your blood pressure up with anxiety will certainly increase your swelling, delay your healing and not help anything.  So please let the doctor who did your surgery hold your hand through this process.  You will probably look fine by 2 weeks but staying calm is vital.

Swelling Common After Deep Plane Face Lift Technique

+1

There is a good reason most facelift surgeons do not use the deep plane technique: long recovery, increased complication rate, and many other negative factors. It is however a great technique in the right hands but losing popularity because other facelift procedures also give great results with less risk and morbidity. The tingling and numbness can occur after many different types of face lifts, but prolonged swelling seems to be part of the recovery process in a deep plane technique that can last several weeks.

Web reference: http://drnichter.com/liftlift-type-modified-smas-facelift-technique/

Deep Plane Facelift and Bruising and Swelling at 5 Days

+1

While the deep plane facelift is associated with a longer period of swelling, this can be hard to predict.  You should look much better in 2 weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

5 days post-op

+1

5 days is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery.  Swelling and bruising is common.  There are still irritated nerves and tight muscles.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacelift.com/html/recovery.php