What Can I Do to Make my Face More Symmetrical/add Volume? (photo)

I noticed one side of my face -the right side has less volume than the other side (assymetry) and has gotten skinnier over the past couple of years. It seems kind of odd considering I am young. I am wondering what I can do to add volume to the cheeks and temple. Teeth related issues may have something to do with it such as pretty severe teeth grinding, braces and weight loss. I am in my early 20s.

What Can I Do to Make my Face More Symmetrical/add Volume?

+1

From the photos provided the cheeks are very high laterally but flat in the front, of the face, making the face appear elongated.  This affect is much more pronounced on the left side than it is on the right.  You might want to try a temporary filler, like Perlane, to add volume to the front of both cheeks thereby softening the face.  You might also consider decreasing the lateral cheek projection by rasping down that portion of the cheek bone or removing the implants if these are present.

How to Give Face More Symmetry

+1

The most reasonable starting point would be the use of fillers to improve symmetry in a person of your age.  People tend to not only have asymmetry side to side, but one side of the face tends to be wider.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetric Face

+1

Everyone has some degree of asymmetry in the face.  There are a few options that can help you achieve more symmetry with long lasting results that are not necessarily surgical.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can evaluate you and properly guide you towards achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Asymmetrical cheeks

+1

Asymmetrical cheeks are a  very common problem in our  practice. Very minor asymmetries are best treated with  fillers and injectables  while more moderate to severe asymmetry is best treated with Silastic cheek implants.  Sometimes a unilateral cheek implant is placed on the shallow side to match the higher side, to give more symmetry.

Making Face More Symmetrical

+1

Fillers and or implants are frequently used to improve the asymmetric facial volume. I need pictures of your full face to make more specific recommendations.

Options to help with facial asymmetry

+1

I admit, that from your photos, it is difficult to evaluate your face fully.  Most people do not have completely symmetric faces.  So, when treating a face with a dermal filler, for example, more may be placed on one side than the other to help even out the appearance.  There are also some conditions or medical issues that may cause volume loss on one side of the face and not the other, and in these instances, fillers can be placed just on the affected side to help.  I would recommend having a consultation with a physician experienced in treating volume loss in the face to see if you might be a candidate for treatment.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon