Will my Face Be Less Droopy if I Lose Weight, or is Surgery Needed? (photo)

My whole face looks droopy, with hooded eyelids and lots of extra fat on my lower face, and sometimes a visible double chin. I look mad all the time when my face is relaxed. It almost looks swollen. I am overweight, but not by much. My dad is an average weight, but also has this face shape so I'm worried that it's genetic. Would significant weight loss fix my face shape, or does it require plastic surgery? If so, what kind?

Losing Weight and Facelift

+1

Facial fat as well as the buccal fat pad are sensitive to weight loss and gain.  Weight loss may help with facial fullness.  At a young age, facelift may only be appropriate for massive weight loss patients. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift, weight loss

+1

You look way too young to be considering a facellift.  Certain aspects of your facial shape will certainly improve with weight loss, though your underlying bone structure will limit the amount of change you can achieve.  After you are done growing and reaching a stable weight, you can reassess which features could be enhanced to improve your facial balance.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Weight loss and potential facial drooping and cosmetic surgery options

+1

If one is overweight it is almost always a good idea to lose the extra weight.  Since you are young and appear to have good skin tone, I don't believe the weight loss will result increased sagging or droopiness which could occur if you were older and had poorer skin tone.  Cosmetic surgical options could include chin implants and/or neck liposuction, but I would start with a good diet and exercise program first.  You may find that you don't need any surgery.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Facial improvement in young patient

+1

Its always good for a young patient to lose weight. Your face will change somewhat but not completely. The roundness of your face and the droopy lids are gentically programmed., that is, you inherited these features from one or both of your parents. Liposculpture of the neck would be very beneficial for you. Liposculture of the neck is a very rewarding, straight forward procedure yielding the highest patient satisfaction.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Droopy Face

+1

It is always good to lose excess weight. A young person like yourself can usually lose weight without causing problems in their face.If you are interested in surgery liposuction of your neck with cheek and chin implants will provide better facial structure and definition

Weight loss and facial sagging.

+1

You appear relatively young and weight loss should not cause significant sagging of the skin as younger skin has more elasticity. The angry appearance you describe could be from the shape and position of your eyebrows. A neurotoxin like Botox or Dysport could help soften this look for you.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and facial drooping at a young age

+1

For the most part, patients under 40 years of age, do not develop sagging in the face after weight loss.  The elasticity of the skin is greater in younger skin.  Allowing it to accomodate and adjust to fluctuations in weight.  Rapid weight loss changes at an older age can lead to facial sagging.  This is more common in bariatric patients who can lose large amounts of weight.  Beware too that some patients retain facial volume and neck volume despite weight loss.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my Face Be Less Droopy if I Lose Weight, or is Surgery Needed?

+1

Please share this answer with your parents if you are under 18 years old.  The pictures seem to suggest aesthetically that you are young and have some degree of "baby fat" in your face.  This typically decreases in the early to mid twenties.  I suggest waiting until you are a bit older before making alterations to your face.  If you, on the other hand, are in your twenties facial micro-liposuction to remove excess facial fat, Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants and a Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant would add facial contour in an aesthetic and naturally attractive manner.  Hope this helps.

Consider chin augmentation

+1

Hello! Your profile view gives the impression of a weak chin, which can cause facial disproportion and heaviness/double chin. You might want to consider a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss possibilities, but a chin implant might be a nice way to bring both facial balance and a tighter neckline! Good luck.

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery not necessary

+1

From your pictures, it doesn't look like you would need surgery to correct the things you don't like about your pictures.  You are young, and with weight reduction, your skin should "shrink" back and correct itself.

Hope this helps, 
Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS