Hi, my Face is Really Crooked..not That Noticeable in Real Life but Some of my Pictures Look Awful? (photo)

Some things I notice about myself: I can never breath through my nose when I exercise because I feel like I can't get enough oxygen and would feel lightheaded. When I yawn the jaw bone on my right side will always pop, and I feel like one side bites down harder than the other side. My eye doctor has told me that I have ptosis. Overall my face just doesn't look straight to me. I have been thinking about facial surgery and just want to know what you guys think.

Face is Really Crooked.

+2

Dear Msh,

Thank you for your question and photos.  I think overall you are a pretty girl, and this is why the facial asymmetries are not so noticable in person.  It appears you have a slightly different amount of growth on one side of you face vs. the other.  It is very mild.  That is why your chin points slightly off, your nose, points slightly off, and your eyes are slightly off.  Again, this is probably only noticable when staring at a photo critically.  Most of these small issues can be corrected it desired with facial sculpting surgery.  On your nose, you seem to have very small nostrils and thus very little are going in.  This may be correctible to some extent with 'spreader grafts' which is a technique in rhinoplasty to improve the air passages.  If on inspection inside your nose, you have a septal deviation or prominent turbinates, this too can be altered to improve your breathing.  The eyelid 'ptosis' can be corrected by changing the insertion of the muscle on the eyelid.  You seem to raise that eyebrow a little to compensate for the small amount of ptosis. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry Assessment

+2

Besides the eyelid issue, the asymmetry of your face is best diagnosed by doing some computer imaging and doing a mirror image analysis. It is yet ti be determined which side of your face you like and whether the asymmetries are issues of excess or deficiencies.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facial Asymmetry is Universal

+2
All faces are asymmetric but some less so than others. You may have TMJ problem as well as nasal airway obstruction. You will need to consult with an Otolaryngologist to evaluate you. As far as things to do to correct the asymmetry, fillers can camouflage this. The ptosis is misdiagnosed because the facial asymmetry is not diagnosed. It is not functional ptosis but I would call it structural ptosis. Because , one side of face is slightly shorter and brow little lower this is diagnosed as functional ptosis which is due to weakness of the upper eyelid muscle.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face is about as symmetrical as they get.

+1

Everyone has some identifiable asymmetries of the face. Your face is a symmetrical as one can have based on the photograph. If there is something specifically you don't like about your face it perhaps could be changed by plastic surgery.

Asymmetric face

+1

From the photos, the asymmetry appears very minor. The joint popping when you yawn could indicate a Robles with the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ for short. Facial asymmetry and TMJ can be associated ad you really need to be examined in person to see if that is the problem. Same for the nose, you need to be examined to determine the cause of your reaching issue.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Hi, my Face is Really Crooked..not That Noticeable in Real Life but Some of my Pictures Look Awful?

+1

I have made a long career out of aesthetically shaping faces and I must say that the degree of asymmetry, of your face, is well within the norm.  It is an urban myth that symmetry makes the face beautiful.  Having the top facial features shaped close to the aesthetic ideal is what makes the face beautiful or handsome.  From the photos provided the tip of the nose is quite thick and broad and the cheeks are flat.  These would be the areas where you should concentrate your efforts should you wish to make your face more naturally attractive.  Hope this helps.

Is my face crooked?

+1

I think that you are very fortunate that you are attractive. If analyzed closely enough, everybody has slight asymmetries everywhere. You may have a slight ptosis on the right. The popping in your jaw is likely due to TMJ disorder. I would visit with an experienced dentist or oral surgeon to have that evaluated. Regarding ptosis, I would visit with an experience oculoplastic surgeon. Otherwise, I would not do anything.

Todd C. Miller, MD

+1

If you really feel you have asymmetry of the face the first test needed is a 3-d scan of the facial bones to see if there is a true difference. 

Facial asymmetry and Facial Nerve issues

+1

First, you need to make sure your facial nerve is OK.  It is hard to see from the photos, but you seem to have some spasm of your right face (your xygomaticus muscles) and your ptosis may be blepharospasm and not real ptosis.  Do you have pain in your face and have you noticed a progression of the droopy lid?  Second, your nasal obstruction could be caused by a lot of different issues and you should have an in-person exam.  The TMJ issue should be evaluated by a TMJ expert.  Third, all your cosmetic concerns call be addressed.  Please seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon to coordinate all of your care.  -Best wishes

David Alessi, MD