Why Are my Eyes Puffy?

I'm only 24 an my eyes have been puffy for the last 6 months.. Why

Eye Bags Treatment

+1

Shauntae,

There are many causes for puffy lower eyelids including: genetics, allergies, salt intake, etc.  I would recommend seeing a specialist who has extensive experience with eyes who may fully evaluate you and make the appropriate recommendations to improve you condition.  The treatment may be as varied as blepharoplasty, filler placement, more sleep or medication.  Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Puffy eyelids and eyes related to fat bags or allergies

+1

Puffy eyes can often be related to allergies or even early fat bag development. If the orbital fat bags become prominent, then a blepharoplasty may be necessary.

I would perform this procedure under local anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Puffy eyes

+1

Salt intake and allergies are the 2 most likely causes of puffy lower lids.  Have your physician check for any thyroid issues as well.  After those issues are ruled out consider a lower blepharoplasty (transconjunctival approach) to remove the fat bags

Causes of puffy eyes

+1

There are a many causes of puffy eyes, and an evaluation by a specialist would be necessary to determine why you may be having this problem. Causes of puffy eyes may include but are not limited to lack of sleep, allergies, and a high sodium intake. This issue can also be hereditary. Treatment would depend on the nature of the issue. Have you changed your normal routine in the past 6 months? From here, I would recommend consulting with your physician. He/she will be able to refer you to the proper specialist if necessary. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Eyelid bags, tired look

+1

Puffy eyelids may be caused by lack of rest, excessive salt intake, certain medications, allergies and herniation of the orbital fat.

Please consult with a Board Certified Allergist or Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making any treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Puffy Eyes at a Young Age

+1

Puffiness under the eyes at your age is usually due to genetics, allergies, crying, not getting enough sleep, or fat herniation. If you truly did not have this problem before, I would consult an opthamologist or general practitioner. If they find nothing, you could consider seeing a plastic surgeon to talk about options for reducing the puffiness.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Puffy eyes at 24

+1

There are few reasons for why your eyes could be puffy at age 24.  One is that is a hereditary issue with you and just runs in your family.  People with chronic allergies can also develop puffy eyes over time.  If you do have allergies, the puffiness could improve with treatment.  If not, your options would be having surgery to improve the puffiness or a filler injected under them to even the area out.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Are My Eyes Puffy?

+1

I agree with Dr. Weber's answer that early eyelid puffiness or fatty protrusion may be due to genetic causes. But what concerns me about you is that you have noticed this puffiness for the last 6 months. I would like to know if you have noticed any recent weight gain, change in sleeping habits and even smoking history. I would also like to make sure that you do not have thyroid related orbitopathy even in cases of normal thyroid function tests. Before offering any cosmetic solutions, carefull medical history may be indicated in your case.

Imtiaz A. Chaudhry, MD, PhD, FACS
Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why Are my Eyes Puffy?

+1

The most common cause of eyelid bags or puffy eyelids in a 24 year old is genetics. Most of us will develop eyelid extra skin and bags in the lower eyelids over time but some people are "born" with eyelid bags that have little to do with aging. Most often a blepharoplasty procedure can permanently improve puffy eyelids or eyelid bags. Other options include in office filler treatment to camouflage lower eyelid bags. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon