Why Are my Eyes Really Asymmetrical? (photo)

My eyes are really asymmetrical (in the picture that is my normal relaxed face) and I was wondering if it is noticeable enough to consider surgery, if surgery would be possible, and if the surgery would be difficult or easy to do? Thanks.

Its normal

+1

the asymmetry you have is normal and surgery will not correct it.  If you look at anyone of us you will notice some type or degree of asymmetry.

Asymmetric Lids?

+1

Your photos are limited so I will do the best I can. It is normal to have a difference from one side of the face to another. In my past, I did not feel this was a reason to operate as the bone structure causes this. I would wait until you are mid aged and then consider some surgery for rejuivenation.All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical eyelids

+1

Almost everyone  has asymmetrical eyelids to some degree. Some people have it more than others.   Asymmetry can be addressed with  asymmetrical upper eyelid surgery which would involve removing differential amounts of skin and fat to make  the eyelids look symmetrical.  Best to seek out an experienced eyelid surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

Facial asymmetry is very common. More the norm rather than the exception. Having said that, from the photo you have presented, it seems that the left upper eyelid skin fold hanging over your eyelid. 

This hooding is creating a bit of a shadow in the photo, so that it is not possible for us to fully evaluate your left upper eyelid margin [where the lashes come out] position on the eyeball.

If the eyelid is too "retracted"  [open too much] then it can create the heavier fold that you are showing in the photo.

However, if the eyelid position is normal, then the asymmetry can be addressed  with a conservative excision of the left upper eyelid skin [blepharoplasty].

I would recommend an evaluation by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. You can find one close to you using the link I've provided for you below.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why Are my Eyes Really Asymmetrical?

+1

We get this question a lot. Look through one of the popular magazines that deals with hollywood personalities. Everyone's eyes are asymmetrical (unless they have been photoshopped).

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Asymmetric eyes

+1

You look a bit like you have some upper eyelid retraction on the left.  Is that new?  If it is then get a thorough eval from and ophthalmologist first.  In any case, depending on the cause it can be handled with a surgery under local anesthesia with about 1 to 2 weeks down time.  You are a male with a strong brow that accentuats that asymmetry but it's not terribly unsitely.  I would get a few consults before moving forward and definitly get an evaluation with an ophthalmologist first.  Hope that helped.

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical eyes

+1

Your eyes are asymmetrical, as are everybody's.

It is important before considering any eyelid surgery to look at eye position, set, brow position, cheek prominence, and general harmony with the face before doing any surgery.

Ideally, a surgeon should evaluate and point out the asymmetries, if for no other reason than to prevent the inevitable first critical look in the mirror, when the patient notices for the first time asymmetries that have been there their entire life.  

Artistically, some asymmetries should be corrected.  Creating new incisions at the nostril base to correct a slightly different inset of the alar base may not be a good idea.  Others should be partially corrected, to achieve the best balance, others corrected as nearly completely as possible.

For example, if one eye sits lower than the other in the orbital rim, then making the eyebrows exactly even may accentuate the eye that sits lower.  So an artistic assessment of these asymmetries is important.

Patients should have the impression that their prospective doctor is assessing these asymmetries carefully before deciding to do a 'cookie cutter' surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Asymmetrical eyes.

+1

Your eyes are asymmetrical and this is quite common in the majority of people. You should leave them alone; they look good and need no surgery.