Why are My Eyes Uneven, What can be Done to Fix Them? (photo)

Ive had this problem since 9th grade and it kind of bothers me

Mechanical ptosis

+1

Morning Jr,

This is a classic issue that I see in my practice every week.  It appears, based on your photo, you have what's called a mechanical ptosis.  Now how did you get this?  There could be a number of reasons.  Could have been trauma, could have been related to puberty.  In the Asian eyelid or Asian-like eyelid acquired ptosis seems to occur somewhat frequently.

You most likely need surgical correction for this.  

I hope this content helps.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi Jr.

You have ptosis of the right upper eyelid.  You said it started in the 9th grade, did you get hit?   Did something else happen around that time that was a predisposing factor?  Could it have been there since birth but just became more noticeable?  Ultimately, you should be seen by an Oculoplastic surgeon to determine the cause and the correct treatment.  Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Congenital ptosis

+1

As already discussed on the chat line, you have right upper eyelid (congenital) ptosis (droopy lid)).  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon for various surgical options, which depend on the strength/function of the levator muscle which is responsible for lifting the eyelid.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven eyelids

+1

While no ones face is perfectly symmetric, you have a condition called "ptosis", your right eyelid is hanging lower than the left. There are many causes for this condition. I agree with Dr. Steinsapir-follow the advise of an oculoplastic surgeon.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have right upper eyelid ptosis.

+1

Jr

This is something that should only be addressed by an oculoplastic surgeon.  Other surgical specialists may perform cosmetic eyelid surgery but their experience, skills and training in performing ptosis surgery is often not up to par with the skills of a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  Oculoplastic surgeons are board certified ophthalmologist who then go on to spent two years of advanced training performing oculofacial surgery.  The depth of training in eyelid specific procedures is far beyond that of any other surgical speciality.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory of highly qualified surgeons in your area (asoprs dot org).

Uneven upper eyelids

+1

based on your photo, such an appearance is likely due to varied insertion and attachment of different eyelid components such as septum and levator or muller muscle on each side. I recommend consultation with a qualified, facial plastic, general plastic or an occuloplastic surgeon to review your surgical options. You can certainly achieve improvement in symmetry of the upper eyelids with the proper procedure.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon