One of my Eyelids is Lopsided While the Other One is Not, Will This Go Away After Swelling?

Im currently at day 3 of my eyelid surgery. My consultant says that they are unsymmetrical due to the swelling but I'm afraid she's just bluffing. My left eyelid is a bit more slanted towards the middle while the right one is fine. Will this go away after swelling? Also, by looking at the size of my eyelid while swelling, how may I determine the final result size of the eyelid? Will it be half the size of the swelling eyelid ? Thanks.

Swelling after Surgery

+2

Swelling is completely normal and expected after surgery. It is important to give your body time to heal before trying to judge your results. Usually it takes about 7-10 days for the initial swelling to go down but residual swelling may be present up to 4-6 weeks after surgery. It is important to remember that your final results may not be apparent for one full year post-operative.

Should you notice a marked increase in the amount of swelling or bruising on one side or another, be sure to contact your doctor’s office right away.

I provide all my patients with a post-operative package on what to expect and how to care for surgical sites. Be sure to follow you surgeon’s instructions carefully and also ensure that you attend all follow up appointments.

Asymetrical eyelid swelling 3 days post blepharoplasty

+1

Fisrt, it is too early to tell.  Swelling can hang around for weeks.  The final result is months away.  Remember that everyone is a bit asymetrical.  While the surgeon strives for perfection and symmetry, one must be reasonable in what to expect.  We have patients use ice for the first few days, and try and keep theri heads up at 30 degrees for at least a week.  This tends to keep the swelling down.  Please do stay in touch with your doctors office and let them know your concerns.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

You may be absolute right.

+1

On the other hand, perhaps your surgeon actually knows what they are doing.  However at 3 days it is hard to know what is going one.  Asymmetric swelling can affect the overall appearance.  These types of differences which are so common, resolve with healing.

Asymmetry after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Asymmetry is the number one concern immediately after eye lid surgeries. Pre existing asymmetries are exaggerated at this time. Always allow at least a month for the swelling to resolve before judging your results. Good luck.    

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

+1

First let me say that Dr Shumway is right on:  eyelids are NOT twins. They are asymmetrical before surgery, and likely will be after surgery. And more importantly eyelids more likely than not will swell asymmetrically after surgery as well.

And, although the majority of bruising and swelling resolves in the first 2 weeks, residual swelling can last up to a few weeks...even a couple of months. This is especially true if you are older with more lax eyelid/facial tissues.Be patient with your body

Your surgeon cannot "bluff", because with time, the results will manifest themselves.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Three Days & Bluffing

+1

First, remember that eyelids are sisters, not twins!  Second, it's been three days!  Third, are exhibiting "realistic expectations?"  Fourth, time is on your side.  Best of luck as you heal.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon