How Will my Eyelids Heal? They Look Horrible to Me Right Now. I Need Honest Answers.

I had upper eyelid surgery and my stitches were removed a few days ago. I asked the dr. to cut along my natural crease line, but my eyelids are now cut much larger than my eyelids were before. My right crease is more rounded and curved than my left, and noticeably larger. The cut line is also longer than my eye, so I have two winged tails at the ends of my eyes. My dr. said that the results will even out on their own and the tails will disappear. But will they? Honestly? I dont believe in magic.

Upper lid blepharoplasty

+1

many times more tissue is removed from one upper lid as compared to the other because the excess tissue in one lid may be more then the other. the goal is to achieve symmetry of the lids. the eyelid incisions usually extend out into the temporal skin to correct dog ears and help decrease hooding of the lateral eye. your surgeon is right, they are usually hard to see after a few weeks. it sounds like you are getting reasonable advice, it will take a few months to see the final result.the scars get better for a year or two.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Incisions

+1

Without before and after pictures it is impossible to give you any specific advice.  For our patients, we mark the incisions in the pre-op area and show them to the patient in the mirror prior to surgery so there is no confusion about incision placement.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Early Upper Blepharoplasty Result

+1

It is hard to give an honest answer when no before and after pictures are posted on which to review. What you need to do is to allow further healing to take palce and then before and after pictures at 6 weeks after surgery if you still have concerns.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Be patient with eyelid surgery healing.

+1

Photos would be helpful in answering this question, however many of  the early asymmetries or irregularities seen will slowly resolve and correct as swelling disappears and the tissues relax .  Patience for 3 - 4 months will allow the tissues to mature and settle so if a revision is needed the tissue would be optimal.  Be sure to follow up with your doctor and address your concerns.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Recovery after upper eyelid surgery

+1

It honestly will take several months and sometimes longer for complete healing to your upper eyelids after surgery.  What you are describing does not sound at all unusual in the recovery period and frequently, both sides will not appear the same initially.  With more time, things should even out.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after eyelid surgery

+1

At times, the incisions on the upper eyelids need to be different to help compensate for asymmetry present prior to surgery. Also, the two sides frequently heal at different speeds, which can also contribute to postop asymmetry. Let everything heal for at least 3 months and then discuss your concerns with your surgeon. If you are still unhappy with your results, you should seek out another doctor for a second opinion. Again, it is much too early to think about revision surgery. 

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon