One of my eyelids is drooping, should I get surgery? (photo)

I am 17 years old and my right eyelid is droopier than my left! I am considering having surgery but I want opinions on if you think I would benefit from it. My eyelid has been like this for a little over a year now and it bothers me constantly. Would I benefit from surgery?

You have a ptosis of the right upper eyelid which can be corrected with a surgery.

+2

You should see an oculoplastic surgeon to get a good evaluation of the muscle function of you eyelid. This will help determine which surgery will be best for elevating the droopy lid. With the proper procedure, you should get good symmetry of your eyelids.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery for Droopy Eyelids

+2

I think you do have ptosis (eyelid drooping) on the right. Having surgery to correct this mild degree of ptosis would give you a more symmetrical appearance to your eyelids. Specifically, you need a ptosis repair to address the fact that the right eyelid has a lower resting position. You appear to have a mild degree of ptosis, and it would be important to document this and the degree function of the upper eyelid muscles. Formal evaluation by a surgeon that does ptosis repair will help to determine what surgery is best for you.

Ashley B. Robey, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

One of my eyelids is drooping, should I get surgery?

+2

You do appear to have ptosis of your right upper eyelid. I'd recommend seeing an Ophthalmologist or Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of ptosis surgery. The first step would be to determine what is causing the eyelid droop (sometimes an underlying cause is not found, which is OK). Surgery can be used to lift and tighten the eyelid elevating muscle creating better symmetry. Don't let anyone perform a blepharoplasty or eyelid lift without a ptosis repair as this will not improve and can worsen the appearance of that eye. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping Eyelid

+1

Firstly before addressing the drooping Right Upper Eyelid make sure you don't have elevation on the Left Upper Eyelid. We see this all the time that a diagnosis is miss because there was say thyroid issues on the opposite eye. Have someone who will do a complete history on or any causes. Did you have this as a child? If so you may have congenital component to your drooping eyelid and after surgery could have incomplete closure...Tread slowly and get a few opinions....Dr. Boxrud

Cynthia Boxrud, MD
Santa Monica Oculoplastic Surgeon