Can Someone Tell Me Why my Eyelids R Doing This and What I Can Do to Fix This? (photo)

Careful now, not exactly ptosis or extra skin

+1

I'll be bold here and say that many of the responses you've recieve are not totally accurate AND also say that you need to see a good ophtomologist before moving forward.  Though Dr. Steinspar is being a little colorful in his comments, he is correct.  You may have mild ptosis, worse on the left than the right.  ALSO, you may have an anatomical difference between the two eyes in that the left may be slightly lower that the right due to a larger orbit or lower orbital floor.  

In any case simply removing some skin will confuse your surgeons and ultimately make you very upset with the outcome.  Your issues are correctable but you want to see an experienced eyelid and orbit surgeon who can address the whole issue.

I'll attach a bit of info.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lid Asymmetry

+1

Your appearance indicates a loss of attachment of the muscle that lifts your eyelid.  The muscle is working hard to keep your eyelid up, so hard that it has pulled your eyelid skin back into your eye-socket.  Correction would require reconnecting the muscle attachment,  and you may need similar on the right, although I would first only do left side and see how it all looks. Suggest you see a plastic surgeon who does eyelid ptosis repair.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

I am chuckling reading the responses of my colleagues.

+1

You do not have too much skin in the left upper eyelid, although it sounds like my colleagues are standing by ready to do upper blepharoplasty.  That is not your issue.  what is going on here is that you have upper eyelid ptosis that is more advanced on the left side.  I assure you that you probably also have a bit of ptosis on the right side as well.  The left side is worse.  The picture demonstrated left upper eyelid levator dehiscence with retraction of the upper eyelid sulcus.  The fold does not look like the right side due to the retraction of the sucus.  It is as if the left upper eyelid fold is disappearing compared to the right side.  You also have this going on in the right upper eyelid but it is just not as advanced.  Upper blepharoplasty is the wrong surgery for you.  If the "extra" skin is removed the left upper eyelid is suddenly doing to look very long and hollow.  You will be unhappy and your surgeon will be completely confused by the outcome.  The reality is actually even worse because swelling of the upper eyelid can cause the upper eyelid ptosis even worse.

So bottom line, this can be fixed but it needs to be fixed by someone who actually knows what the heck they are doing.

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

Eyelid asymmetry is very common and we have to deal with this every time we perform a upper blepharoplasty. To make the eyelids more symmetrical, asymmetrical eyelid surgery would involve skin only  excision on one side, and skin and fat removal on the opposite side to balance them . Please see the  link below for examples

Asymmetric upper eyelids not uncommon and often can be fixed with blepharoplasty.

+1

From the photograph provided I think significant improvement in symmetry could be accomplished by upper lid blepharoplasty. This is a procedure that can be performed with sedation and local anesthesia.

Eyelid Concerns

+1

Based on your photos, it appears you are a candidate for an upper blepharoplasty.  Your photo shows too much upper eyelid skin. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD