Will Getting Botox Put Me At Risk Of My Eyelid Not Closing Or Effect my Blinking?

My Eye Spasms/closes when I Move my Mouth Due to Nerves That Grew Back in the Wrong Direction when I Recovered from Bell's Palsy. Am I at risk for my eye lid not closing well and/or my blink function being decreased if I am treated with Botox?

Eyelid spasms after Bell's palsy

+2

You have eyelid/facial spasms from "aberrant regeneration" after recovery from Bell's palsy.  Botulinum toxin is the best treatment available, and if done correctly and conservatively, it will not affect your eyelid closure.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2

What you're describing is called synkinesis or misdirected regrowth of motor nerves.  Having Botox should not interfere with the nerve functions you describe.  The facial nerve operates the muscles of the face and the branches that operate the glabella and forehead are away from the ones of the lower face.  Botox affects muscles and not nerves.

Eye Closure

+2

Botox is excellent for patients recovering from Bell's. Eye closure problems is a risk, and a reason to choose an experienced and expert injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox and Bell's palsy

+2

Botox works great for problems associated with re-innervation after Bell's.  There is a risk for eye closure problems but is unlikely when done by a surgeon experience with facial paralysis patients. 

Good luck!

David Alessi, MD

Botox, Bell's palsy, and mixed messages

+1

the Bell's palsy often creates new pathways of communication between nerves and muscles and there may be spasms of unrelated muscles when one muscle is purposefully contracted ( synkenesis). After Bell's palsy, sometimes Botox is used to relax the unaffected side to make the appearance more symmetric.  your response to Botox will not necessarily be affected because you had Bell's Palsy.

Ronald Shelton, MD