Can my eye muscles compensate for the muscles that did not receive botox?

I was botoxed crowd feet under each eye and on top of each cheek. My question is, did all my muscles around my eyes get botoxed or not? And can some muscles take over for the other ones that was botoxed? I still have a loose ring sitting on my cheeks 21 months after Botox. Is it loose muscle? Does a festoon consist of a loose muscle. I'm afraid that I may be tightend up some muscles before Botox wore off and now my muscle under my eye has no where to go but on top of my cheeks.

Botox around the Eyes

+1
Botox injected in one muscle groups can cause another muscle group to attempt to compensate.  However, the effects would not be noticed 21 months later.  The festoons that you are describing are most likely the effect of loose skin that may need to be surgically treated to improve the cosmetic results.  I would consult with a board certified cosmetic physician for evaluation.

#Festoons under the eyes

+1
Festoons can occur on the lower eyelids. Several factors are responsible for this namely Volume loss, skin laxity, muscle laxity, gravity and time. Botox might make it better but its possible you might need surgery to tighten the muscles and then do other less invasive procedures to maintain the results of the surgery

Misbah Khan, MD

None of the changes you see now are likely due to botox

+1
injected 21 months ago...the botox is gone...now you need to see your doctor and decide what can be done about your current issue...

Ken Landow, MD

Muscles can try to compensate for those treated with Botox

+1
Yes, if you have had Botox you can have other muscles that are working harder to try to compensate for that loss. However, you should not work them hard enough to be noticeably stronger or different and all of the effect will be gone at 21 months.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Recruitment of muscles not treated by Botox

+1
It is common to see recruitment of muscles unaffected by Botox to account for movement around the eyes. Your issues should be evaluated and discussed with a board certified dermatologist. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon