Are my Ears Overcorrected? (photo)

hi, i had otoplasty surgery 4 weeks ago, and i think the upper half of my ear is overcorrected, the top part touches my head,where the lower part theres some space between head and helix, i talked to my dr about about and he says they should relax, whitin the next couple months, i just dont see them coming out so much since they so close to the head, the antihelical looks over folded, what should i do? should i wait that long or do i need revision soon, thanks

Overcorrected Otoplasty?

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  "Over treatment" of the upper third of the ear is performed because there may be some relapse.  I think your overall result is good.  Try to be patient and follow your surgeon's advice.

Dr. ES

Ears overcorrected after setback?

+1

It's hard to tell from your images if your ears are overcorrected.  Ideally, after otoplasty you should be able to see the helical rim on the frontal view.  If this is not the case and it bothers you then a revision may be necessary.  There is no urgency to proceed with revision right away.  Follow-up with your surgeon to discuss this. 

Clyde H. Ishii, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Over corrected ears

+1

Sorry to see this - your ears are over corrected.  You should return to your Dr and ask about the options to release your ears.  If he/she used sutures to fold the antihelix - then it should be possible to release these.  If not you may need to use a splint behind your ears to hold them out while healing occurs.  Revision surgery may still be needed but better to wait at least 3 months.  Hope this helps/  

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Early Otoplasty Touch-Up

+1

If you have not seen sufficient relaxation by four weeks after surgery, it is unlikely that a substantial improvement will occur. Bow would be a good time to loosen/replace the one or to sutures that are holding it back before too much scar formation occurs.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD