My Earring Got Ripped out 4 Years Ago and I Had Surgery on It Around 2 Years Ago. Can I Get my Lobe Repierced?

My earring got ripped out and I had it stitched back together over 2 years ago (January 2011) I think. I was wondering if I can get my earlobe re pierced?

My earring got ripped out and I had it stitched back together over 2 years ago, can I re-pierce?

+1
Yes, you absolutely can. I personally counsel my patients to wait a year after reconstruction for the scar to mature, 6 months if they are really eager. At two years you should be completely safe to do so. I would also recommend placing the new piercing just in front or just behind the old one rather than through the scar as scar tissue is never as strong as normal skin so you run a higher risk of recurrence if you re-pierce the same site. Best of luck!

Can I Get my Lobe Repierced?

+1

Yes, you can get your lobes re-pierced.  It is best to place the new holes in a slightly different spot to avoid the old scar. 

John F. Reinisch, MD

Can I re-pierce my ear 2 years after repair?

+1

Absolutely! I typically have my patients wait about 8 weeks after the repair before they re-pierce.  I recommend not wearing your earrings to bed, and limit yourself to not wearing the real heavy ones. 

Jennifer L. Harrington MD

Harrington Plastic Surgery

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Re-piercing ears

+1

You can definitely get your ears re-pierced. I do think some people have skin that is more prone to pulling through and tearing.  I think you should wear very light earrings.  I let my patients get pierced 6 weeks after the repair.  Avoid the actual scar. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Re-piercing After Earlobe Repair

+1

- I tell my patients they may re-pierce their earlobes 6 weeks after their earlobe repair.  You will be fine if it's been a couple years since your repair. 

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Piercing ears after Earlobe repair

+1

Yes, we usually like our patients to wait at least 6 months after having an earlobe repair before re-piercing.  Being two years out, it is more than safe to pierce your ears again.  Don't allow someone to pierce over the previous area or a tear may reoccur in the future.  Once pierced it is best to stick with light weight earrings as heavy earrings can cause the another tear.  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you can re-pierce your ears! (Just not in the same place, please!)

+1

You can safely re-pierce your ears.  I recommend avoiding the previous scar from the repair done 2 years prior.  Go adjacent to the scar for the best look and minimize the risk of recurrence.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Repierce ears after " tear"

+1

Yes, but I would not repierce in th exact same location since the healed tissue will not be as " strong". I would go no closer the 2mm from the previous location. The " tear " can recurr and depends on the weight of your earrings ( avoid large heavy earrings)

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon