Can I Get my Ear Repierced After a Keloid?

I have a tiny, tiny keloid on my earlobe (about the size of a flax seed) and have gotten the steroid shots. I had it compressed and it is now completely flat. Can I get that ear re pierced? I now wear only one earring and find clip ons to be very uncomfortable. Thanks for your help! 

While it is certainly possible, it does carry risk.  Make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a full evaluation and confirm this is a Keloid versus a Hypertrophic Scar.  Although they both have risks of coming back, the though process and decision process will change based on the diagnosis.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Keloids and Earpiercing

I understand your predicament , however, It is certainly possible to re-keloid if you choose to re-pierce the same spot.  You can try to have steroids injected again immediately after another piercing (and for a period of time thereafter) but it can be unpredictable and you have to be prepared for the consequences.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Keloids are unpredictable

you are one of the lucky ones that has developed only a small keloid. it has also responded to the treatment. piercing the ear again can cause the keloid to come back and it may come back even larger than before.

wearing clip on earrings beats having a keloid on the ear. over the many years i have treated thousands of these keloids. some of them are huge and many of them are hard to remove. some are removed and come back years later.

consider yourself lucky and leave well enough alone!

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Repeat keloid scar after re-piercing ears

Its certainly a possibility.  And no one can really predict what your chances are of having one but since you already did, its likely you could again.  Consider steroid injections at the time of your piercing and be prepared to have any unacceptable scar revised should it develop.  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Earlobe Piercing After Keloid Treatment

Earlobe piercing after keloid treatment has a high risk of keloid recurrence.  You are fortunate that your keloid responded to steroid injection alone.  Take care!

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

10700 Charter Drive
Columbia, MD 21044

Keloids can be unpredictable

Yes, you can get your ear repierced.  Will you get another keloid?  Hard to say, but you clearly are at increased risk.  On a hopeful note, your other ear healed fine and the repiercing might heal fine too.  I guess if you are willing to take a risk and possibly treat another keloid, repiercing is an option.  It sounds like your keloid was small and responded to treatment, so taking a calculated risk is not unreasonable.  Good luck.

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

9427 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225

Keloid - After ear piercing

As a rule - should not re-pierce the ear (after developing keloid from piercing). 

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

14 Jayammal Street
Teynampet, Chennai

You can have your ear re-pierced. That doesn't mean that you should. The main risk is that the keloid could recur and could be more severe this time. It sounds like you required fairly intense intervention and if you want to avoid going through that again it might be worthwhile to avoid repiercing your ear. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124