Can my Ear Be Improved? (Photo)

I had otoplasty 12 years ago and my left ear looks bent out of shape. Would I be able to have the cartliage reshaped? My helix is missing from front view and the ear is bent back. Thanks.

Can my Ear Be Improved?

+2

It does appear that your ear was over corrected at the time of otoplasty. It can be improved by releasing the sutures, weakening the cartilage on the back side of the ear and placing a wedge of cartilage on the back side of the ear to help support the rim of the ear in a more lateral position. This can be performed through your original incision. This type of revision is more challenging than the initial otoplasty so I would recommend that you seek someone that specializes in otoplasty  and revision otoplasty. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty revision for ears bent back too far

+1

You can have your ears bent back again. The way to do it is to release all the contractures holding your ears the way they are and consider grafting cartilage to hold the new position. This requires someone with experience doing otoplasty revisions and reoperations.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Undoing the over-corrected ear with revision otoplasty.

+1

From the pictures it looks like the sutures used to reshape the antihelix were tied down too tightly creating both the overcorrection and the "capsizing" of cartilage above and below it.

Fortunately, though, this can typically be fixed with a combination of releasing and replacing the Mustarde sutures, often placing a cartilage spacer graft, rarely adding a small skin graft (taken from behind the ear to keep it unnoticeable), and then splinting it appropriately while it heals.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty correction

+1

Your results could certainly be tweaked by various procedures.  Please see a local plastic surgeon for a consultation and if you are concerned about what is discussed, invest in a second opinion.  And know what your surgeon's revision policy is.

Curtis Wong, MD

Revision of the Overcorrected Otoplasty

+1

An overcorrected otoplasty requires a cartilage release and an interpositional cartilage graft to hold it back out. The skin is likely also tight but that can be overcome by releasing skin on the back of the ear beyond the postauricular sulcus.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Your ear can be improved.

+1

Your left ear was over corrected such that the helical rim does not show from from view.  It can be corrected undoing the cause of the problem which can't be determined in the photos.  Either the excess cartilage bending needs to be lessened or the tightness of skin behind your ear needs to be improved.  Often both the cartilage and the skin tightness need correction.

John F. Reinisch, MD