Can I Ask my Dr for my Rhinoplsty Before Photos & Med Records to Bring to Another Dr's Consult?

Had primary rhino 6 mo. ago and I'm very unhappy. My Dr agrees results are sub-par (tho I think it's awful whereas he says a touch-up will suffice). I want 2nd opinions from other Drs. I havent totally lost faith in my Dr but I'm not sure I want him to do my revision until I get other opinions. I want to bring my old pics & records of what was done to bring w me to a 2nd consult. Can I ask his office for these without offending him? I dont want him to be insulted or hate me in the future.

Do the preop photos and operative report help?

+1

Usually the preoperative photos are useful to reivew. But more for the interest of the revision surgeon. Regardless of how the nose arrived at its present post operative state, what's there is what needs to be dealt with, regardless of how the nose got there. Occassionally the pictures are helpful, but as a general rule they aren't. The operative report sadly is most often of no value. The reports are for the large measure generic in nature and appear to be dictated quickly and without much thought to content. There are exceptions to the rule of course. When the surgeon has used diagrams or drawn pictures, then these notes are often valuable.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patient medical records for second opinions

+1

Patients are always entitled a copy of their medical records, which includes photos.  It is important not to undergo another revision for at least a year until full healing has taken place.

You may benefit from a second opinion regarding your dissatisfaction after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

A second opinion will be very helpful for you, and you will have a more meaningful opinion if you present your doctor a copy of your operative report and photos. You have a right to your medical records, and your surgeon's staff will provide them for you. If you decide to move forward with your new surgeon, the opinion of your primary surgeon will be irrelevant. If you decide to go back to your primary surgeon, I doubt he would have any hard feelings.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical Records Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Assuming you live in the United States  patients can request copies of their medical records. They will help in  when you  get a second opinion from other surgeons.

Rhinoplasty, unsatisfactory results

+1

I am glad you are sensitive to your surgeons feelings, and want to keep a positive relationship.  Your surgeon knows best what was done during your operation, and potentially is best equipped to do the revision, and probably at the lowest cost. You do have a right to your medical records and photographs, and I think the best way to handle it is be up front about feeling better about another opinion, and even asking your surgeon if there is someone they would suggest. Assuming your surgeon is skilled and experienced, they should not be duly threatened by your desire for a second opinion. If they are defensive and uncooperative, that would not inspire confidence. Good luck!

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Medical records

+1

You absolutely can get your medical records from your surgeon.  Usually a request form is required to do so.  Good luck.

2nd Opinons Can Be Very Helpful

+1

Yes, you certainly can, and should, have another opinion concerning your rhinoplasty result.  Another evaluation will be helpful to both you and your doctor.  Secondary, or "touch up", procedures are sometimes necessary.  Your pre-operative photos and the operative records are exactly what the second doctor needs in order to give you an expert opinion. Don't worry about your original doctor - he'll be fine!

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Asking records after rhino

+1

Sorry your results are not satisfactory.  I don't think you would offend him.  I think you should have a candid, open discussion.  It helps when you just lay everything on the table.  The other thing I have to say is that your recorsds are your recors.  You have the right to your records.   Cheers.  Good luck.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon