Think my Dr Was Too Aggressive with Upper Lower Bleph. When Will I Know if He Was?

+1

It's impossible to give an assessment without meeting you or seeing photos. Usually between 1 and 3 months you will have a very good idea of the result. In most cases, early concerns settle and do not become long term problems following surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op bleph

+1

I would wait for a period of time say 4-6 weeks to allow all of the swelling and edema to go doen.Also massage can help as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Photos will help

+1

Photos would really be helpful. Also you haven't really indicated WHY you think your surgeon was too aggressive with your upper and lower blepharoplasty. Are you eyelids not closing properly? Is your lower eyelid being pulled downward? Are you having dry eyes? Are you eyelids looking hollow? Is your scar not healing well?

There are a lot of different issues that could be going on with a lot of different ways to address them. Please be a bit more specific and also try to provide before AND after photos for us to compare.

Thanks

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Generally if you are having an issue, you know it immediately.

+1

It can be appearance.  It can be eye comfort.  It can be both.  Generally things do get better with time.  Unless you are having an ocular emergency after eyelid surgery, I advise giving the surgery at least a couple of months to settle down.  There are some early mechanical measures that do help.  So a second opinion is reasonable at anytime.   Have you discussed your concerns with your surgeon?  That is probably the best place to start.

Hi Gretchen,

+1

Without seeing pre-op and post-op photos or knowing how many days post-op you are, it is difficult to say whether or not your upper blepharoplasty surgery was too aggressive.

One important thing plastic surgeon's look for in the early post operative period is whether or not the patient can fully close their lids over their eyeball. Inability to do so is medically termed lagopthalmos (inability to fully close your eyelid over your eyeball) and is not uncommon in the first few days post-operatively, due to the local anaesthetic used and swelling of the tissue. If the inability to close your eyelids over your eyeball persists beyond the first few days post-operatively, it is of concern; the biggest concern is protection of the cornea.

I recommend you bring this concern to you Plastic Surgeon and inquire about what interventions you can use to ensure that your eyeball (cornea) is protected and properly lubricated when you are at rest/sleeping.

Wishing you complete recovery.  

Cory Goldberg, MD

1-2 months..

+1

f you think that your doctor was too aggressive with your upper or lower blepharoplasty, you should have a sense within the 1st month to 2 months after the surgery after the swelling resolves.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon