My Dorsum Has a Bump That I'd Like to Get Removed, How Would This Be Done? (photo)

Is the bump haves or carved or completely removed? I developed a bump from hitting my nose many times. In dim light the bump is accentuated. With out the bump my nose was curved in. If like to have that again. but I'm told that the tip would be more bulbous and it wouldn't be recommended. I don't want the perfect nose I just want my original nose. If the dorsum is thinned the tip will look bigger , but would it be too much? Should I alter that too? Is it simple to alter the tip?

Rhinoplasty Question

+2

Although my answer is no substitute for a consultation, traumatic nasal "humps" can be addressed with Rhinoplasty.  The method of dorsal hump removal depends on the severity.  Smaller humps are generally shaved off with a rasp, while larger ones are typically shaved off with an osteotome.  If you are happy with the appearance of your nasal tip, this procedure can be performed in isolation.  If not, the nasal tip can be refined with other Rhinoplasty techniques.  This is a personal decision and depends on your aesthetic concerns.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal bombs of the nose often involve cartilage as well as bone.

+1

Most bumps of the nose involve the cartilage as well as the bone. This circumstance creating a flat dorsum is more complicated than just rasping.

Dorsal width vs dorsal hump

+1

Thank you for the question and the excellent photos.  On side profile your dorsal profile looks quite good.  On straight view the middle and upper third of your nose appears wide. The dorsal hump that you describe is only seen on oblique view secondary to the dorsal width.  Correction of this will require narrowing of the cartilaginous dorsum and infracture of the bony dorsum.  You may be able to get away with shaving the sides of the cartilaginous dorsum via a closed approach if that is all that you would like corrected.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

My Dorsum Has a Bump That I'd Like to Get Removed, How Would This Be Done?

+1

From the photos provided, the dorsal bump is small enough to be reduced using a nasal rasp.  The tip is also wide and should be reduced.  The chin is weak making the lower face appear out of balance and the nose larger than it truly is.  Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant should be considered along with a Rhinoplasty.

Removing Nasal Hump

+1

Your nasal hump can be removed as an isolated procedure but if possible I suggest you narrow and refine your tip. We are all concerned about cost but your result would be far better if you can do both.

Best Rhinoplasty work

+1

Yes you do have a bulbous or large tip that will look relatively larger if you do osteotomies to thin the bridge of your nose. My suggestion is to definitely do the tip thinning if you are going to thin the bridge. I do nose jobs (rhinoplasties) like yours with simple and safe oral sedation and local anesthesia (injections of Xylocaine). The process is safe , easy and has minimal discomfort. The recovery period is also easier this way. The procedure would take about 1 hour. I can do this because of 25 years of experience and 3500 happy completed rhinoplasties. Simple rasping of the dorsal hump to smooth the bridge can certainly be done very quickly and easily if it is all you want to do.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Reduction

+1

Hi,

If all you want is the hump removed this should be relatively easy without any detriment to the tip of your nose. Your tip will not get bigger. This type of procedure is ideal for a closed rhinoplasty without disturbing the tip.

Best, Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

dorsal hump removal

+1

A small dorsal hump can simply be filed down without having  to perform osteotomies to narrow the nasal bones. A large hump removal will require osteotomies. The tip of the nose only needs to be done if the patient  desires to have it done .Please see the link below to our dorsal hump reduction rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump and wide tip.

+1

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump and wide tip r usually done together to balance your nose. Choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for best results.