Is my Dorsal Hump Hereditary?

I have a very prominent dorsal hump on my nose, yet neither of my parents do and none of my grandparents did either. I got hit in the nose quite often from around 5th grade to 8th grade (sports). It bled twice, once in 5th and once in 6th, not a lot though. The hump also started to grow during the same time, but I'm not sure if this was because of puberty or the frequent hits to the nose. Is it possible to have a dorsal hump if none of my relatives do? Or is this from repeated trauma?

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump trauma

+1

Trauma to the nose creates microfractures of the bone and cartilage which creates a callus and osteophytic growth along the bony and cartilaginous junction of the nose. This is known as a nasal hump which comes from repetitive trauma. He hump can be removed with a rhinoplasty by filing down both bone and cartilage and osteotomies to close the open roof.

Dorsal Hump

+1

A dorsal hump on the nose can be created by nasal trauma as well as inherited.  Granted your parents and grandparents did not display the dorsal hump trait, there may possibly be a distant relative with the bump.  Since there is no way of knowing of which is the cause of it, there is solace in knowing that it can be corrected with a cosmetic rhinoplasty.

M. Mark Mofid, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is my Dorsal Hump Hereditary?

+1

There is some hereditary component of facial development but trauma can play a role as well.  Whether hereditary or not, rhinoplasty surgery can be customized to remodel your features as needed.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Nasal hump, hereditary or trauma based.

+1

Nasal hump, hereditary or trauma based is impossible to say which is the cause. Either way the hump can be removed if you do not like this.

Is my Dorsal Hump Hereditary?

+1

Facial attributes can certainly be passed to children or grandchildren, but this is not an absolute and trauma could have certainly played a role.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA