Is It Possible That my Dome Suture Tore?

3 months ago (5 months after my rhinoplasty), I deeply yawned and felt a sharp pain/tear on one side of my nasal tip. I was slightly concerned but eventually thought nothing of it because I couldn't notice a difference. Now that swelling has gone down I've noticed a slight asymmetry. One side of the tip projects a bit more and is less bulbous than the other side. Could this possibly be corrected in office or would I need to schedule another surgery?

Dome suture after rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that the dome suture tore from yawning 5 months after your rhinoplasty procedure. At this point, enough healing should have occurred within the nasal tip. However, if you do notice an asymmetry, I would encourage you to visit your surgeon for an evaluation.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dome suture torn 5 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear B_dillo,

Five months post-surgery should be enough to establish a considerable level of healing and so even if you were to rupture a dome suture, it may not cause an asymmetry that may have happened to appear as more swelling subsided with time.

Final results takes up to 12 months to be fully established.

Nonetheless, without a physical examination it is hard to pin-point the true reason behind the asymmetry that you have described.

So, I encourage that you meet with your PS for an examination.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Is it possible to tear tip sutures 5 months after rhinoplasty

+1

It seems there are two possibilities here.  One is that you really tore a small tip suture (which, by the way, are more frequently permanent than absorbable) and with time you developed an asymmetry of the tip cartilages due to this incident.  Another possibility is that your your pain was totally unrelated to tearing any sutures, and over the past three months you noticed some tip asymmetry due to asymmetric healing/ suturing/ fibrosis, etc.  Whatever the case may be, the treatment is the same: you may need some tip revision of the asymmetry is bothersome enough.  It is possible to correct small asymmetries with injectable fillers, but this would depend on your exam and yours and your doctor decision.  Good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Tip issues

+1

It is highly unlikley that sutures placed several months before are  even still there if they were absorbable. Some do use permanent sutures. You may have disrupted some scar tissue.

Can a dome suture tear late after rhinoplasty

+1

It could be possible that the suture used to shape the dome tore when you yawned. However, the tip is fairly fixed after three months of healing. The tip asymmetry can be corrected with a revision, but you should wait out full healing to see how it sorts out.

Tip asymmetry following rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your questions. As the swelling started to go down you will notice some asymmetry a the tip. This can be corrected with a revision procedure; but you will have to wait for another 6-8 months to allow all the swelling and the scar tissue to settle before contemplating the next step.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tip Asymmetry

+1

If dome stitches were used it is possible that it did tear. The asymmetry can be corrected with a relatively minor procedure regardless of the cause. Where it is done will depend on your surgeon's facility. We, like many others, have a surgery center adjacent to our office so this is rarely a problem for most surgeons.