my doctor works in a hospital but is not board certified, should cancel?

My doctor is not certified by the American Board of Medicine or at least I don't think? They called me today for a hernia repair surgery paid for by medical. I'm scared to let him work on me. 

My doctor works in a hospital but is not board certified, should cancel

+1
You should clarify a few facts by checking with the doctors office.
The Surgeon may be Board Eligible and in the process of being board certified.
if you are not happy, get a second opinion
All the best

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Not board certified

+1
First of all, I am not certain what type of procedure you are considering. There is mention of hernia repair, and this is  TT webpage. 

I would suggest calling the medical staff office at the hospital about the surgeons board certification. Also check with the doctor's office. If you are considering a tummy tuck, look for certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, not any cosmetic surgery board.   If you are just having a hernia repair you will be looking for American Board of Surgery certificiation. 

All the best. 

Surgeon not Board Certified

+1
  • Most hospitals require their surgeons to be Board Certified or eligible to take the Boards.
  • So ask the hospital Medical Affairs Office what your surgeon's status is.
  • He may have recently finished residency, be an excellent surgeon and preparing for his exams. 
  • Then call the surgeon's office to ask why he isn't Board Certified.
  • If all of this reassures you, fine.
  • If not, get a second opinion. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Not board certified surgeon.

+1
I would check again with the doctors office and do some research. I would check with the hospital itself, check on line, as well as with your family doctor.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Certification

+1
This is a very good question. As a patient you should first of all be confident about your surgeon. One of the things that increases your confidence is knowing that your surgeon is Board Certified in their specialty. For Plastic Surgeons that means being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many surgeons in Philadelphia who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery so you should be seeing one of them. 
The next thing that will increase your confidence is the reputation of the surgeon. This can be gleaned by talking to other doctors and other patients. 
Finally you need to be comfortable with the surgeon and the staff. 
Be careful when looking at "Board Certification". There are many different types of "Board Certification" but only one Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Don't be fooled.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
Each surgeon can be evaluated by their credentials and where they trained.  Each hospital has a group of doctors that help in the credentialing of other doctors. If you are uncomfortable then do not proceed.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS