My Doctor Suggested a Large Chin Implant for Me, is This a Good Size? (photo)

I am scheduled for surgery next week, and I did question my surgeon's decision to use a large, I don't want to look boxy, or manly but he said he is almost certain that won't be the case. Along with my procedure i am getting neck liposuction but I want to be comfortable with the chin augmentation which is the "main event" for me! Please help ease my worries and let me know if there are specific questions I should ask before I go in! Please help, I appreciate it! :)

Chin implant size

+1

While there is a significant amount of mandibular retrusion presented in the pictures, it is difficult to determine the exact size needed.  It appears a medium or large size implant would be the appropriate, but it depends on the manufacturer.  Each implant manufacturer offers different sizes and shapes, made of different materials.  Equally as important as the chin implant itself, is liposuction and/or a neck lift to remove fat above and below the platysmal muscle in the submental area.  A combination of neck work and a chin implant should give a nice change to the patient’s profile. 

A Large Chin Implant is Needed But Be Careful

+1

Looking at your side view, there is no question that you need a fair amount of "projection" (your chin needs to come forward quite a bit). Aesthetic studies have shown that you want your chin to project forward to a line drawn straight down from bottom of the lower lip. Although this is a general rule, my experience has been that in someone who has very little natural chin projection, if the chin is brought all the way out to this point, the difference will be so much that you will likely feel that the chin is way too big.The other issue you have to be careful about is making sure that the implant does not add too much heaviness to the jaw on the front view. A big implant will tend to make your jaw look more masculine. Ideally what you need is an implant that will add a lot of projection from the side while adding no extra width from the front. While we tend to use  "anatomic" implants most of the time, perhaps an older style implant, which can be deep but not wide would be a good option. One way to still make this smaller implant look better would be to do some liposuction to remove some of the fat in your neck at the same time. This would give added definition from the side, which along with the smaller implant would give you the overall effect you need.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be a good candidate for Chin Implant and Neck Liposuction Surgery.

+1

Your photos are limited for evaluation, but they appear to show that you have a weak chin and excessive neck fat. If you want reassurance about the size of your implant, ask your surgeon to show you a large Chin Implant sizer. If he uses Implantech implants, the sizers are blue, and you can place it in front of your chin to see how much projection to expect, ands see the dimensions of the implant.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

My Doctor Suggested a Large Chin Implant for Me, is This a Good Size?

+1

We would be happy to help but over the internet very hard to advise. Best to obtain second opinions in person, so maybe delay your surgery. My GUESS is a large chin implant would be an option but what are the dimensions the that implant? You have to many questions to have an operation. Secure a better informed consent. 

Size of chin implant

+1

Morning Lori,

I would agree with the plan to use a large in your case.  The "boxy" look would come more from the shape of the implant than the size.  Also, some implants augment the natural shape of your chin so if your chin is flat or square across the front the implant my look that way a bit so the surgeon should choose the implant and shape it accordingly.  

Also, in the first 1 to 3 weeks you may not like the shape or look.  You will be nervous.  You will look in the mirror and wonder, "when is this going to change?" and so on.  Just relax.  You'll have a new look to adjust to and I'm sure things will look quite natural but you must give it a good 2 to 5 weeks for the swelling to subside especially with lipo at the same time.  I don't mean gross, severe swelling.  I mean swelling that is hiding the permanent result.  Be patient.  Don't judge the result for 3 to 6 weeks.

You'll do great.

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

It is impossible to evaluate a face for a chin implant without the full face front and profile photos. Also it would not be possible to answer without knowing the manufacturer and style of the implant chosen. Large for one style is different than large for another style.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD