What if my Doctor Shaved my Hump Down Too Much? (photo)

I'm 2 weeks post op. I honestly hate my new nose! Everyone keeps telling me it's the swelling and I'm so tired of hearing that. Swelling has nothing to do with the hump I had. I feel my doctor shaved down too much! I would love my new nose if it wasn't shaved down so much, it's really pretty drastic. Should my doctor have to fix this? Or am I being too dramatic? Will things get better? I just wanted a really nice nose so I wouldn't be self conscious anymore but I feel I didn't get that

Relax during the healing process

+4

You still have tremendous amounts of bruising and swelling. At this point there isnt much to do but try to relax and let it continue to heal. As the swelling decreases it is my hope that you will have the nose you have always wanted. It takes a little time but it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck

Appearance of nose after dorsal hump reduction

+4

Your profile has not reached its final appearance. so you are being a bit dramatic.  Once the majority of the swelling resolves (in 3-6 months) then you can start to judge whether the hump was over-resected or not.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Postop swelling and Rhinoplasty

+3

Hi Raymond,

Yes, you are being a little dramatic but you are like a lot of patients in that respect! You are in a very early healing period. While most patients have about 75-80% of the swelling gone after 2 weeks, it can take a little longer in patients who have thicker skin. Before you talk about getting a revision, let it settle for a few more months and take shape. In the meantime, talk to your surgeon and have a discussion regarding your concerns.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early result after a rhinoplasty

+2

You are way too early to judge the final result of your rhinoplasty.  Hopefully you have realistic expectations and that you made your desires for nasal shape known.  You nasal dorsum does not appear to have been over resected but it would be good to see a pre op photo as well.   

Result of rhinoplasty

+2

It is very early. Your tip looks very swollen, entirely normal at this time. Once the tip swelling begins to subside you will be better able to judge the profile. It's common to second guess your results this early after surgery. I have a feeling that you will begin to really like the result you have by week 6 if not sooner. Taping the nose (especially in the tip region) as soon as you get home at night can help with the swelling and give you an earlier "preview" of what is to come when you remove it in the morning.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Swollen nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after surgery can take a long time to improve.  Noses always swell after surgery and you will have to be patient.  Try to relax and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What if my Doctor Shaved my Hump Down Too Much?

+1

Two weeks is way too early to assess the final results. I always tell rhinoplasty patients that the easy part of the surgery is reviewing video imaging and choosing to move forward with the procedure. The hard part is waiting up to 12 months for the final results. You will have a decent idea of the final result at 3 months, good idea at 6 months and clear view of the final result at 12 months. Is easy to say and hard to do but be patient. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Over resection of a nasal bump should be avoided in rhinoplasty.

+1

Is too early to tell because of swelling whether there has been over resection of the nasal dorsum. It can occur and would require a secondary procedure to correct. Fillers can also be a temporary fix.

Two weeks post rhinoplasty

+1

At two weeks post-rhinoplasty swelling is very prominent. Discussing your goals with your doctor before surgery also helps clear up any miscommunication about goals.

+1

Issues! Too early to respond in the healing phase. No before side view photo posted to compare to the after posted!