My Doctor Recommended I Get Two Coolsculpting Treatments Done on the Same Day on Lower Abs?

Coolsculpting - stacking? and does it work?

+2

Thank you for asking this question! And YES it works!

I am very busy with Coolsculpting in my practice. I have found that the best results occur with the stacking method. I have had it done on my lower abdomen, and the results are unbelievable!

Stacking essentially means treating the same area twice at the same visit. I have found that with the second freeze I am able to recruit more fat and KILL it! My analogy is - if you want something to really be dead than you shoot it twice!

I strongly encourage my patients to "stack" their procedures for the best results.

Jennifer L. Harrington

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

+2

The best approach to treating the abdomen is to treat the whole region as a unit.  In our office, that sometimes means as many as 4 treatments in the same day in 4 different regions of the abdomen.  Of course, it doesn't have to be done the same day and can be spaced out as your schedule permits.  

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Stacking

+1
While stacking is possible, you do have to be careful as the side effects and risks may be greater. If stacking is recommended, consult with multiple board certified physicians to determine if stacking is in your best interests.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting for fat loss multiple treatments

+1

There have been cases in which the physician treats the exact same area twice, the second application follows immediately after the first. This stacking procedure has not been studied to compare the final results with someone who has two treatments separated by a month to four months. I also do not know if there is a greater prevalence of extreme skin sensitivity after the double stacking than the two treatments separated by time.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting

+1
CoolSculpting is generally performed in "cycles" with each cycle taking an hour and covers one area. 60 minutes is required for the tissue to reach the correct temperature to cause the fat to shrink. Typically, separate cycles are needed for the upper and lower abdomen (each an hour), and each flank requires separate hour cycles. Two treatments can be done on the same day, and the time between treatments varies based on the areas treated. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting

+1

Coolsculpting has come out with new protocol for treatments. Some practices "stack" treatments, which is one treatment, massage, then re treat this area. Other practices wait 30 days to re treat the same area. It is patient specific in our practice. If someone doesn't get the frozen 'butter' stick after the first hour of treatment, we suggest a second hour to get a good freeze!

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

CoolSculpting Complete = 2 areas in one Hour

+1

In my practice we offer clients two CooSculpting systems simultaneously for twice the fat removal in one hour. Some people do want multiple areas treated, for instance love handles and sides of back. In that case, we can provide treatment of four areas in two hours.

There is a treatment protocol called "stacking" where a one hour treatment in one area is followed by a second  treatment in exactly the same area. We do not offer that type of treatment in our office.  We do sometimes treat the same area twice on patients, but very often people feel they get the complete result they are hoping to achieve after a single treatment.  I cannot justify charging a person for a second treatment before they have a chance to see an initial result after a few weeks following the initial treatment.  I have heard reports of extreme pain following the "stacking" procedure that our patients have not experienced.  I have not seen any studies, or even heard anecdotal evidence that stacking provides better results than single CoolSculpting treatments. 

What we do offer our clients is vibrational therapy to help stimulate the lymphatic system following a CoolSculpting treatment.  The efficacy of a Coolsculpting treatment relies on the lymphatic system working to eliminate treated fat cells from the body. Vibrational therapy provides an intense boost to the circulatory system. There is no additional charge for this treatment, but we feel it is an important component of the CoolSculpting Complete process.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon