My Doctor Massaged the Botox Injections I to my Skin?

I had botox 2 days ago and the doctor immediately massaged it in....pretty aggressively!! Now I'm reading that you shouldn't rub it for hours let alone rub it in after injecting it!! It's 2 days later and I am seeing no results when in the past I have had seen results within 1-2 days (from a different doctor who did not rub it in)

+1

Botox injectors should not massage due to the possibility of it dispersing or scattering.  Always go to an experienced certified injector.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Massaging after Botox

+1

I have been injecting Botox for well over 10 years. I do not massage Botox on my patients and get consistently excellent results.

I would recommend injection only by a properly licensed board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging after Botox

+1

Some areas, such as the forehead and crow's feet, are often smoothed over or gently massaged to allow some desired spread of the Botox.  Only the physician should do it, not the patient.  I do ask my patients to exercise the muscles that have been treated by raising their forehead and smiling for 20 minutes to enhance uptake.  It can take up to 12 days to see the full Botox effect.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Messaging after Botox?

+1

Hi PG.  We do not message Botox after injection because there is no need to.  We tell patients not to message as the product has a chance of "migrating" to an area we do not want it to go.  If it is injected properly into the muscle it will bind there fairly quickly but we discourage messaging.  

With that said, it should not have a great effect on results.  Wait another few days and if you do not see similar results as the last time, contact your injector for a checkup.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox massaged after injection

+1

While massaging is not necessary after Botox treatment, pressure can sometimes be applied to help with bleeding or just smooth out the treated area.  Applying pressure or massage should not affect the Botox result and it sometimes can take up to a week to see the full effect.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox injection technique

+1

While it's unnecessary to massage the Botox after injection, it's not likely this decreased its activity.  Without knowing the dosage and dilution from each doctor, it's difficult to definitively say why it's taking longer to kick in this time around.  Give it a full 7 days to take effect to judge the final results.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Messaging botox

+1

Botox typically takes 5-7 days for it to work in the majority of patients.  Sometimes patients will notice it working earlier, but I would give it time at this point.  Usually, it is recommended for patients not to exercise or manipulate the area after botox injections, but your doctor may have a technique that works well in their practice.  At this point, I would give it more time to take effect and if you don't see anything in 2 weeks, followup with your injector.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging the forehead by the Doctor is ok after Botox

+1

There are massagers and non massagers for the forehead area. Because the frontal is muscle is very broad, massaging can spread the Botox around so the forehead is more evenly treated. It does nothing to affect the efficacy of the Botox. Full effect of Botox takes 7-10 days. I'd just wait to see results.  The Doctor should rub the forehead in a controlled fashion, so as not to let the Botox move downward and affect eyebrows or eyelid. Rubbing the other injection sites is not recommended. Applying pressure is ok if there is bleeding or bruising. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD