Is my Doctor Too Conservative? (photo)

I am 5'2, weigh 110 lbs, and I am 19. I had my consultation with my doctor and explained to him how I wanted my breast augmentation results to be large. I wanted to be around a DD. He told me that since I had a thin frame he would not give me implants any larger than 350 cc. Do you think that 350 cc will be enough for me to achieve my goal? Or is my doctor just too conservative and I should look for another one?

Conservative and/or sensible sizing of breast implants

+3

In my experience and therefore opinion, it is a mistake to start with the number of cc's and working backwards. This is like choosing a dress or shoe size and making it work whether it fits or not. The proper way to size implants that will fit, look right, and have a predictable result is not using external sizers or thinking that any size or look is possible. Measure the width of your breast upright and with arms down. Subtract about .75 cm and that will tell you the width of the implant that will fit properly behind your breast. If you want the maximum increase in size that your tissues will tolerate without stretching or distortion, then choose a high profile round implant in saline-filled or gel-filled and expect to look about two cup sizes larger than you are now with the same chest circumference. The number of cc's is found by looking up implants of the proper diameter in high profile. You will know what fits, should look natural, and generally what size you will look like with a properly done subpectorally positioned implant. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

+2

With your thin frame and narrow chest width, I think that 350 cc implants will make you look fairly large for your frame. No one can predict if that will make you a DD, but if you wear a 32 or 34 bra size you may indeed end up needing that size bra. A word of caution though on trying to go too big-with your small frame, a DD size will look extremely large and will limit your clothing options as fitted blouses and button up shirts in your size are not made for women with DD breasts

Donald Griffin, MD

Choices in breast augmentation surgery

+2

I want my patients to understand that the implant that they select is the best for their breast dimensions and individual anatomy.   The fact is that we can make breasts as big as anyone wants them, however they may not look very good or may only look good over the short term but long term you are committing  yourself to multiple operations in the future to correct sagging and implant malposition.  We want to please our patients but on the other hand it is our duty to lay out the risks and long term implications of our choices.  

Is my Doctor Too Conservative?

+2

Dear Miami Angel,

Thank you for your question and photos.  To start with, you have very lovely breasts with near perfect shape.  You will do very well with a good augmentation.  Now as to size, don't worry so much about cc's.  The more important question here are the dimensions of the implant.  Your implant should be wide enough to go from your cleavage point to the edge of your chest, minus the tissue thickness at these locations.  Once you pick that width, selecting the profile is next.  You will do exceptionally well with a MP+ implant of that width.  This will proably get you to the D+ cup size, which is probably perfect for you.  A HP implant I think will be too much for your small frame.  The following is an example of a MP+ implant of the proper width.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Is my Doctor Too Conservative?

+2

For your body frame and breast shape , 350 cc will probably achieve the 32 DD / 34 D you are looking for . It seems you have good breast tissue , that usually gives very nice post op results . 

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think you will have a great result a very nice natural look but you will likely not have the overdone wow look you are looking for with a 350cc implant

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

Without an exam, it is hard to estimate size goals.   Based on your pictures, I do not think a 350cc will get you to DD size range.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Too conservative breast aug

+1

I always tell my patein   you can't put a gallon of milk in to a quart container.Your skin envelope will only stretch so much and that is a limitation that the surgeon has to deal with.I think 350 would be fine.ts

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Is my Doctor Too Conservative?

+1

350 cc NOT enough! Who was the surgeon you saw in Miami?? PM me that info. Best to seek a few in person examinations. I think you could handle a 450 UHP implant. But only in person evaluations allow a better chance to diagnose. 

Breast Implant Choice

+1

Hi

I think your surgeon sounds very sensible and has selected the implants based on your chest wall dimensions. Hopefully customising the implant to your petite frame. Of course you could go larger, but that will likely increase your chance of complications and also a poor aesthetic outcome.

Another consultation with a plastic surgeon is always a good idea to reassure you that the implant you have selected is the right one. I would also encourage you to see a surgeon that uses 3D technology, such as a Vectra machine. This way you can see how you would look with different size and style implants.

As a rough guide each 100cc is equivalent to 1 cup size. So 350cc is a pretty substantial increase in cup size.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon