My Doctor Said I Need 27 Injections of Botox How Many Injections Are in a Bottle?

I am seeing a pain clinic doctor for my migraines and he said I would need 27 injections of botox for the pain. My insurance might not pay for the treatment so I am wondering how many injections are in a bottle of botox so I can figure out my cost.

How many injections of Botox are required for migraines

+3

This is very difficult to answer, and is not really the issue. Most importantly, the question is how much (e.g. how many units) of Botox is required for your treatment as this will often determine the cost. The number of injections will depend on where the points of pain are, where pain radiates etc., so as long as you have an expert injector, rest assured that you will receive the appropriate number of injections and units.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of Botox for migraines

+1

you should call your doctor's office and ask them. That would be the most accurate way of determining your cost. It is not the number of injections usually that determine the cost, it is the number of units used. Your doctor might use more or less units per injection site than another doctor, and the other doctor might use less or more number of injection sites. the duration of effect and the effectiveness might vary from doctor to doctor if the treatment is different.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox injections for pain

+1

The cost of Botox depends on the number of units used.  You should receive treatment with an experienced injector you trust.  He/she will inject the correct amount in the appropriate sites.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox charged per unit

+1

Typically, most practitioners will charge per unit for Botox and this seems to be the most reliable standardized method for comparing costs. I would recommend that you valuate the practitioner's experience more than the cost as the most significant indicator of value.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is charged by units used, not number of injections

+1

I believe you mean your doctor said that you will receive injections into 27 different trigger points for you. However, Botox isn't ever charged by the number of injection sites, even if insurance is paying for it. It is charged by the number of units used for the entire treatment. Normally and especially when treating for migraines, a minimum of 50 units is used. If you are having 27 points injected, I'm assuming your physician intends to use more units than that, though. In a Botox vial, however, there are either 50 unit vials, or 100 unit vials. Some physicians charge per unit, and some charge per "area". I prefer the first way as it's a truer unit of measurement and pricing. Depending on where you live, prices may vary, but the national average is about $10-$15/per unit, when injected by a board-certified physician. So you'd be looking at somewhere around $600 or more, depending again on the number of units, not the number of injection sites.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Injections for Migraines.

+1

Sounds like your doctor is trying to make it sound complicated.  As has been said it is not the number of injections but the number of units per injection.  Ask your doctor how many units will be covered by the insurance company and how many total units you need.  You should be charged by the unit.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Migraines

+1

Botox works very well to alleviate migraine headaches. We usually charge Botox by the actual units used for the treatment. We don't charge by the number of injection sites.

You should go to someoe very experienced in injecting for migraines and they can give you a price quote for your problem. They will give you a price depending on the areas  injected and where the pain radiates from on you.

It is always best to have a Board Certified Dermatologist, Plastic Surgeon, Opthalmologist and in this case Neurologist do these migraine treatments. When you call their office ask how often they treat patients for migraines.

Good luck with your treatments.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox dosage in unit measurement for Migraines

+1

Hello and I'm happy you have asked this question so you're able to get good direction. I realize you've been answered by other physicians, and yes, they are correct. The number of units is what you'll need to know so as to calculate the cost. The dosage for cosmetic, therapeutic, and neurologic treatments, have differences, but they all are measured in Botox units. I second the recommendation to have a prior authorization from your insurance company.  You can also call the clinic who will be providing the treatment and ask the specific questions; What is the dosage in units for my treatment, and if I am to pay out of pocket, what is the cost per unit? Or total cost?

These are important things to confirm before proceeding. I wish you the best.

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

The critical factor is how many units of Botox you'll be treated with. The number of injections will not affect the price. Your physician can tell you how many units of Botox will be used and you can then seek authorization from your insurance company to determine whether the treatment will be covered. Knowing the number of units that will be injected will also tell you how much the injection will cost you if it's not covered. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is sold by the unit, not the injection

+1
Botox fees are calculated by units, not the number of injections. I would recomend that you obtain a preauthorization from the insurance company before undergoing the treatment so you will know where you stand in terms of reimbursement.

Robert L. Kraft, MD