Can I Get my Deviated Septum Fixed in Three Weeks? If Not What Can I Do? I Leave for an Internship and then Study Abroad.

I have a diagnosed deviated septum. I need to get three procedures done: septoplasty, turbinateplasty, and rhinoplasty to fix all of the problems. Unfortunately the rhinoplasty for some reason is not covered by insurance even though my nose looks deformed (all of these happened from soccer hits to the face etc) Anyway..I have been having such a difficult time breathing especially the last few months. I have been on zicam for months which has given me chronic sinus infections but it gives relief

Will I recover from a septo rhino in three weeks

+2

You will be able to start your internship and not be inconvenienced by your surgery but healing will progress for a time..Most plastic surgeons belong to a network where we can ask our colleagues to look after our patients in America or other countries. Ask yor surgeon if he has a buddy in the country you are going to. No, insurace companies don't pay for what they consider non functional. You can appeal it and after 9 months and many letter and frustration they may give in..It's not worth it generally. Good luck to you ..au revoir

Recovery from surgery to correct deviated septum

+1

A rhinoplasty is not covered by insurance and must be paid for by the patient.  Internal breathing procedures such as septoplasty and turbinectomy are usually a covered benefit for most patients on their medical insurance plans.  It is important to find a physician who is well versed in these procedures and has performed thousands of them.  Once you find the surgeon that you are very happy with, preauthorization for the medically related procedures will need to be done through your insurance company.  This can take a couple of weeks.  After the surgery, there will be followup appointments to monitor the healing process of the medically necessary procedures.  Followup for rhinoplasty is usually a year long process.  The best time for surgery is when a patient has ample time to prepare and recover from surgery.

Is 3 weeks enough time to recover from a septorhinoplasty?

+1

The initial recovery period following a septorhinoplasty will be around two weeks. You will want to take it easy for the first week and gradually increase activity the second week.  If you are leaving in three weeks, you will be in adequate condition to start an internship and study abroad.  I hope this helps, and best of luck with your surgery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Septoplasty, Rhinoplasty and turbinate surgery

+1
The answer is yes you can have these done and be off to your internship and be fine. I do a lot of patients from out of state and the country and they are discharged and okay to fly in seven to ten days maximum. A lot of times I will set them up with colleagues and friends in their home area for follow up appointments if needed. All insurance companies vary as do the personal policies of each individual. The functional aspects are typically covered and you can go to bat against the insurance company regarding necessity however it can be a coin toss for the winner! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Septorhinoplasty and turbinate surgery

+1

It is becoming more and more difficult to get insurance approval for functional rhinoplasty surgery. It is largely dependent on the insurance company and the documentation that is provided by your surgeon. In order to have a chance for insurance approval, the surgeon needs to illustrate the necessity of a septorhinoplasty approach over a standard septoplasty approach. Basically, they need to believe that the more extensive surgery is required to get you breathing better. Approval also can require a few month trial of nasal steroid use, and possibly imaging (CT scans or plain films) despite this having no practical role for surgeons (who said insurance companies operated on logic?). One thing you have going for you is a history of trauma. This can be helpful for the approval process. 

If you are on a tight timeline and needing surgery right away, it's pretty much not worth risking the chance (and good possibility) that your surgery will be denied. It may be better for you to move forward as you would if you were getting a cosmetic procedure (out-of-pocket) so that you can get on the schedule right away and get on the road to recovery sooner.

Although the nose can take up to a year to fully heal, for most, it takes about 2 weeks time to heal enough so that others won't notice that you've had surgery. You will still have some swelling and you and your surgeon would be able to tell, but most others around you would not. If you have bruising, this typically goes away in about 7-10 days.

Patients are pleasantly surprised with how fast they can recover from nasal surgery.

Above all, make sure that you find someone who performs a significant volume of nasal surgery. It is the most difficult operation in all of plastic surgery and you owe it to yourself to find an expert.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery From Septum and Turbinate Surgery

+1

The time frame for recovery from a septoplasty and turbinate surgery is about 7-10 days.  Given your description of symptoms, you may be able to get adequate relief of your symptoms from an in office procedure called turbinate somnoplasty.  Generally you will have to go to an ENT as general plastic surgeons won't offer it.  Call around and ask specifically if the doctor does this procedure. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon