My dental implant crown, seated with permanent cement, is coming loose after only 7 months. What might be the problem? (photo)

I have a permanent dental implant (upper right lateral), and after have two instances of my crown coming off with temporary cement, the decision was made to use permanent "50 year cement." That was April. It is now beginning of December and the crown feels like it's becoming loose again. That tooth does not, and never has, come into contact with my bottom teeth when I bite. What could be the problem? Is there a chance it's the implant itself/abutment that is loose and not the crown?

My dental implant crown, seated with permanent cement, is coming loose after only 7 months. What might be the problem?

+1

Let's explore a few things.  First, you should return to your dentist right away.  It is easy to recement a crown onto an implant abutment.

Why does it come off so easily?  Well, the upper lateral incisor is the smallest of all the upper teeth.  Implant abutments for this tooth tend to be small, and thus do not have as much surface area for retention as other larger teeth.  In lay terms, it can come off easier than other implants.  

If your dentist feels that the abutment could be made with better retention, then that is something he could possibly do...redo the abutment and the crown that fits over it.  I couldn't comment on that without seeing really good photos of your abutment.

Also, note that implants are just one option to replacing a missing tooth.  If it continues to be a problem for you then you might want to consider having a fixed bridge, but generally the implant treatment you have already gotten is considered the best way to go when missing a permanent tooth with two perfectly good teeth on either side of the missing tooth.

As far as the abutment itself being loose, that is not as likely as the crown loosening up off of the abutment.  However, implant abutments can break, as well as the screw inside that holds it onto the actual implant.  Again, your dentist should be able to determine the problem and I strongly recommend you return to your dentist so that, if possible, he can remedy the problem.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist