Should My Dentist Have Made Me Aware That I Needed Invisalign Buttons on my Front Teeth?

Had impressions made for invisalign, and nothing was mentioned about buttons or attachments until the molds came in and the tech said, wow you need a lot of buttons. I said what are buttons? Got the answer, but that was the first time the idea of buttons was explained or discussed. I opted for invisalign because of the invisible factor - buttons on your front teeth look horrible, and I can't believe the dentist did not mention the possibility at any point prior to going to get the trays.

Buttons for Invisalign

+1

It does seem a bit off from a service aspect that the buttons were not discussed, however given your other options, Invisalign is still much more esthetic.  The buttons generally blend with the teeth and with the trays in place they are barely noticeable.  If you don't wear your trays then you will see them, but the whole premise of Invisalign is that the trays need to be in your mouth to work. 

Ask the dentist why you were not told, and if you don't like the explanation then try another dentist.  It may have been just a mistake in an otherwise great practice, or it may be a symptom of a bigger problem.  You will always get further by having the conversation, even if it's not comfortable, than if you hold a grudge and go ahead anyway.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Buttons for invisalign

+1

I think that it it is really inexcusable for the provider not to have informed your properly and fully about what is REALLY involved with invisalign.  Now you have to worry about how many other "details" did he not bother to take the time to let you know about.   

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist

Cutomer service is the key

+1

While there is no REQUIREMENT to share this in advance, I think it is poor form or an oversight to not share in advance what the treatment will include.  There may be reasons for not sharing, but I try to have a clear understanding of everything that is planned before we begin.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Attachments for invisalign

+1

Attachments (buttons) are necessary for some types of movements.....BUT your dentist or orthodontist really should have told you about the possible need for them before you committed to treatment!...Not a great way to maintain confidence!

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist