Why Would my Daughters Earrings Slowly Rip Out?

My daughter got her ears pierced in March, over the past 7 months they have slowly been tearing. What would cause this? She does not wear heavy earrings, studs only, or pull on them. They have not ripped all the way out. How long should we wait to repierce? Or should we not pierce them at all?

Earlobe surgery earring holes

+2

Dear mailit1975,

• You may want to try some clip ons for a few weeks to see if the holes get smaller
  • If they do not, then you can close them and re-pierce them in 6-8 weeks
  • Causes - nothing too serious, it is probably from tugging that happens without her knowing it

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Daughter's ear piercings slowly tearing

+2

As you mentioned, the most common causes of earrings tearing through a piercing would be wearing heavy earrings or pulling on them.  You state that your daughter does neither of these.  Sometimes earrings can also be pulled while changing clothes.  The fabric can sometimes pull on them and cause some tearing.  I can't think of any other causes.  If they have actually turned from a hole to a slit now, they could be surgically repaired to close them.  I would then wait two months before repiercing them in a slightly different spot.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear piercing tearing

+1

If the ear piercing is tearing you may want to repair them and then wait several months before repiercing them.

Daughters earrings are ripping

+1

the usual cause for the stretching of the ear piercing is the heavy earrings. She may be running with them or they were pierced too low.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS