Does my daughter require medical attention for a broken nose?

My forearm hit my daughter's nose while goofing around last night. No nose bleed, no bruising or black eyes (as yet), but her nose appears to be slightly crooked. The bridge of her nose is tender and sore, and it feels like knots beneath the skin when touched. She's iced the area throughout the night, but I notice she favors one side over the other (when icing it), and that's the side that has taken on a different look. Sorry, no pic, as I'm at work.

Broken nose

+1
You need to take your daughter to a physician for an exam, preferably a rhinoplasty specialist.  If the nose is crooked, it can be corrected up to about ten days after the injury.

Treating a Broken Nose

+1
Many broken noses are just watched and will heal on their own.  However, if it seems crooked or deformed, it may need further treatment.  You have  window when it can be fixed.  I usually like to wait at least 7 days to allow the swelling to come down, but now longer than 14 days as the bones will begin to heal in position and are harder to move back in to place. Those that need to be treated will be visibly different, crooked, twisted or otherwise.  If the nose appears close to or exactly the way it did before it was broken, then just leave it alone and it will heal on its own.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose?

+1
It is difficult for any of us to know. If you feel it is crooked it may need to be evaluated. Often times if it is broken and crooked the bones may need to be repositioned. But, nobody can give you the most accurate advice here. She just needs to be seen by a doctor if you are worried.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Broken nose

+1
Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell just based on your description whether she has broken her nose. Fractures of the nasal bones can displaced or nondisplaced. Displaced fractures may require reduction of the fracture if there is a cosmetic deformity of the nose. It can be difficult to tell if the nose is crooked because frequently there is swelling after the injury. It would be best to have your daughter evaluated by a plastic surgeon within the week of the injury. Early on the fractured nasal bones can be repositioned before they have had a chance to heal. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose and nasal trauma

+1
Nasal trauma to the nose can result in a non-displaced fracture, or a displaced fracture. Only the displaced and crooked noses need to be repaired. It is best to wait a couple weeks before making any decision to repair a broken nose. X-rays and a consultation/ examination by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon can determine the extent of the injury.

+1
Most often the nose will bleed when broken but that's not always the case. If you're concerned, it would be worthwhile to have her evaluated by an ENT or Rhinoplasty specialist. During the first two weeks a broken/ deviated nose can be straightened without an invasive procedure. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible nasal fracture after trauma.

+1
Is unlikely that your daughter fractured her nose since there is no bleeding. Very often the swelling makes the nose look crooked. To be absolutely certain have her seen by a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Medical Attention for Broken Nose

+1
It would be best to have her examined by a rhnoplasty specialist, making sure that she does not have a hematoma which could cause structural problems. This is unlikely but I would want to be sure that she does not need treatment.

Nasal fracture

+1
If you suspect the nose is broken and it is crooked, then it is best to be evaluated ASAP so that if it needs a reduction, then it can be done soon. Waiting too long can make it difficult to reduce adequately.

+1
Yes, if there is a change in the shape or an increased difficulty breathing she should be seen by a surgeon that does rhinoplasty for two reasons. One is to document the injury for future insurance claims and the other is to evaluate her to determine if surgery wouold be of benefit. The sooner the better, but certainly within the week.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD