My Daughter is 15, Would Laser Hair Removal Be Effective?

my daughter has olive skin and just started menstruation.

Laser hair removal in a 15 year old

+2

We frequently do laser hair removal treatments quite successfully in 15 year olds but only with parental consent. Olive skin can be a bit more challenging but treatment can be successful if the hair is dark. First make sure your treating physician has experience and the proper laser for treating her skin color. We use the GentleMAX laser by Candela which has many treatment options for most skin colors.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for your Daughter

+2

Yes, laser hair removal would be effective if your daughter has dark hair.  There are certain lasers that are better than others for olive skinned people.   Also, because she has recently gone through puberty, she is still in the process of maturing and her hair growth pattern is not completely established so she may need more treatments than you anticipate.   That's the scientific part of the answer!  Given that your daughter is only 15 though, she may not understand the ramifications of permanent hair removal and might decide when she is older that she really didn't want all the hair removed.  I don't think a 15 year old is necessarily capable of making this type of decision.  Personally, I would wait until she is older and use other methods of hair removal that are not permanent. 

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

The effectiveness of Laser Hair Removal depends on the location and quality of the hair.

+2

In general, olive skin types may be treated with laser for hair removal. Thick, dark, fast-growing hair tends to respond best (lip, chin, underarms, bikini). Finer hair is more resistant.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal is 'OK' for 15 year old

+1

We have treated many adolescence for laser hair reduction in our offices with proper parental approval/consent and have been very successful. We use the Nd: YAG, part of the Sciton laser system, which works well with all skin types. 

Although your daughter is still young and hormonal changes may cause an increase in her hair growth, laser hair removal will still assist in reducing the physical presence of hair on her body. We typically suggest 4-6 treatments per area but with anyone still in adolescence they may need more. Please be sure to find a medical practitioner who is qualified in laser hair removal treatments to avoid unnecessary pain, burning, and/or hyperpigmentation. Best of luck to you and your daughter!

For more information regarding Laser Hair Removal, visit the link below.

Steve Laverson, MD