My daughter has an infected permanent stitch. What should I do?

We took her to her plastic surgeon today. He couldn't see the stitch; the back of her ear was swollen and red. The area is about the size of a medium blueberry. He prescribed an antibiotic for one week. Yesterday the area doubled in size from before school to bedtime. She just now started saying it is beginning to hurt occasionally right below her mastoid process. Her original surgery was 2 yrs. ago. A revision was done in the office 1 year ago.

Ear suture issues

+1
The antibiotics may help improve the issue.  If redness and swelling continue, the surgeon may need to take out the suture if that is the issue.  Make sure you tell him/her your concerns.  Together you will guide your daughter through this. 

Redness after otoplasty

+1
The suture may need to come out, if the infection is not resolved.  See your surgeon so that he can guide you to recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Redness after otoplasty

+1
If the redness does not resolve with the antibiotics, whatever is causing it is likely going to have to come out. Your surgeon will help guide you through this so follow advice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Infected suture

+1
Permanent sutures can get infected. if the diagnosis is confirmed as infection, then opening the incision and taking the stich out and continue antibiotics.
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com