My Daughter is 15 and Wears a 34L Bra & C/o Breast Pain. Is She a Candidate for a Reduction?

My daughter is 15 and wears a 34I bra & c/o breast pain. She wears a bra (sometimes multiple) every minute of the day except to shower @ which time she holds them up because she says its painful for them to hang. Is it remotely possible for her to have a reduction at her age? If so what avenues do I need to explore first?

Breast reduction for 15 year old

+1
Breast reduction can certainly help, however you should understand that at 15 years old, her breasts are probably still developing and will continue to do so for the next few years.

She should see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a medical consultation to find out if this is right for her. During the consultation, she'll discuss the risks associated with the procedure so she can make an informed decision.  

Breast Reduction Candidate

+1
There is not an age limit for breast reduction surgery. It is best to wait at least 1 year from the time that your breast finishes growing. This will allow for optimal correction, and minimizes the possibility that you need a 2nd surgery soon afterwards. In addition to being a candidate, she will need to be able to have parental consent and provide informed consent (or have your parent's provide informed consent on your behalf). When you are ready, consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Timing of Breast Reduction

+1

Your daughter's situation can be improved with a breast reduction given what you have conveyed. Age is something to consider with breast reduction but symptoms are the most important. Definitely, reaching full breast development is advisable prior to a reduction but in someone like your daughter her symptoms are causing her problems right now. Early breast enlargement does happen and is called virginal breast hypertrophy. In these cases reductions are done and more than likely another reduction will be needed in the future. Do your best to try to help her with supportive bras and anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen as a short term solution. Meanwhile, most insurances cover breast reduction surgery for these type of cases if it is not a plan exclusion. I would seek advice from her primary care physician and get a referral to a board certified plastic surgeon who can assist you and your daughter with a breast reduction.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Yes, breast reduction at 15 years old is reasonable for certain individuals

+1
Hello, Breast reduction involves the removal of skin, fat, and gland and reshaping of the breasts. The result will be smaller breasts but also some visible incisions. Usually the incision scars are very well tolerated. The areola is still sensate and most women are still able to nurse after pregnancy. Although 15 years old is on the young side there is no reason for some for her to wait if her breasts are very large, they negatively impact her physical and mental well being and she understands what a breast reduction entails. Seek consultations with well trained board certified plastic surgeons that have good before and after photos of their work. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Not too young for breast reduction surgery

+1

Dear Ms. Riley,

From your description of your daughter's condition, it is evident she needs surgical intervention. While it is true that her breasts may continue growing after a reduction, another reduction down the line is not uncommon for someone her age. Because your daughter is so young, I strongly recommend the Ultimate Breast Reduction technique because

1. it does not interfere with future breastfeeding capability

2. it has no vertical scar

3. nipple sensitivity is preserved

4. it provides lift longevity

I hope this  helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for a 15 year old

+1

It sounds like your daughter would be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  While it is generally preferable to wait until breast growth is complete, symptoms as severe as you describe can justify having the procedure performed sooner.  If breast development continues, a second breast reduction could be performed at some point in the future.

I would recommend scheduling consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons experienced in breast reduction, so that your daughter can be evaluated and you can both be educated regarding the procedure and its potential long term risks and benefits.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Breast Reduction for a 15 y/o?

+1

Yes, she is absolutely a candidate and a reduction would serve her well. She is young and there is a chance that her breasts can regrow to their current size, but the surgery would give her immediate relief and better the quality of her life. 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for a 15 Year Old Patient

+1

Yes, your daughter is definitely a candidate for the breast reduction procedure, but you and she need to be sure her breast growth is complete before contemplating surgery. I ask all my younger patients when they last had to go to a different bra size, and prefer they have been stable in size for at least one year. The improvement in comfort, clothing styles, the type of attention she gets and her personal feeling about herself will be dramatically improved with the reduction procedure. Older breast reduction patients almost all say "I wish I had done this sooner."

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Yes, breast reduction may be indicated even at young ages

+1

A girl with extremely large breasts is subject to unimaginable difficulties both with regard to symptoms, activities, and psychosocial implications.  Yes, she needs a breast reduction STAT.  There is a possibility that her breasts will continue to grow and she may need another reduction later on.  That's okay.  The vertical technique is best and can be redone if necessary.  The procedure may be covered by insurance.  If not, she should have it regardless.  Otherwise she will bear the pscyhological scars of enduring with this problem through adolescence.  I copied this part of my website for your information.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for a 15 year old

+1

I think she is a candidate for breast reduction surgery. Not only surgery will improve her pain, but also will improve her posture. The best avenue for her is the insurance route. She needs to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. After complete evaluation, her information is sent to the insurance company for authorization. If the surgery is approved then she can have it done. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD