I Think my Crown is Wearing Down the Tooth Below It. What Should I Do?

1 Yr. ago I had a same day crown done with the cerec machine. I have felt the tooth is high & had it readjusted several times. Every time I have it adjusted I'm told it looks better & then it still bothers me. I go back. They use the paper to test it out & there is always some spot darker than others. There is not much adjusting left to do. The tooth below is showing signs of wear. I don't believe my eating habits involve chewing especially hard on one tooth. It is the only tooth with wear.

Crown causing tooth wear

+2

A properly fabricated and adjusted porcelain crown should not cause tooth wear.  Since you state you still have discomfort your bite may still be high.  Talk to your dentist about your concerns or find someone to give you a second opinion.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Can crowns ware away the opposing teeth

+2

I am not a fan of one day crowns. The type of porcelain ,matters. some porcelain are more abrasive than others. do check your bite with a dentist who performs full mouth reconstructions, TMJ and head and neck pain treatments, someone who knows about occlusion and bite.  The adjustment is not about the paper marks it is about where the marks should and should not appear, under which motion they appear, and what is the intensity of the marking , not only on that tooth, but the entire mouth. 

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Dental crown causing wear of opposing tooth

+2

There are several reasons why this can happen, but generally with a properly made, polished or glazed porcelain surface in the proper bite relationship there should be no effect on opposing teeth.  It sounds like you have seen your dentist about it a few times.  May be a good idea to search out a second opinion from someone with alot of experience in that area.  I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with what was done, but hard to tell without looking at it directly so another opinion would be helpful.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Crown wearing down tooth below it.

+2

You should get a second opinion from a dentist that is well-versed and well-educated in occlusion (the way the teeth bite into eachother). A properly made porcelain crown should NOT cause excessive wear on its opposing tooth.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth Wear From a Crown

+1

A properly contoured and adjusted crown should not wear down the opposing tooth.  This also takes into account that the rest of your bite is even.  It sounds as if you crown is still high in an area.  This should be adjusted so that contacts are even durning excursions (chewing mothions).  If your dentist cant figure this out, seek out a second opinion

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon