When I smile my left side does not raise as far as my right side. I have had this since birth. It is growing to be a bigger issue for me as I age. Any advice would be great. Tks
Is my Crooked Smile Able to Be Fixed?
Doctor Answers (4)
Can my crooked smile be fixed
Your question is very difficult to answer without seeing, some close-up photos of your relaxed smile, as well as your very full smile. I would seek out care from a trained cosmetic dentist in your area
Crooked Smile correction?
It is normal for most people to have a dominant side when they smile and talk. You can look at others and notice this. This is when one side of the mouth raises higher then the other. This can become a major problem if the teeth have issues in positioning too. Sometimes the smile can be adjusted to make the lip raising/drooping less of an issue. I would suggest visiting a reputable cosmetic dentist and see if he has ideas. It is rare to need a surgical correction of the lips, but the dentist can advise you and involve a plastic surgeon if needed.
Scott LeSueur, DDS
Questions about how to fix a crooked smile.
1. Are the teeth canted (at a slant)?
2. Are the gum heights uneven?
3. Are your lips uneven when you smile?
4. Do you have any facial assymetries?
and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
5. Can you take some pictures smiling and with lips at rest of full frontal face, full profile face left/right, closer up of smile with base of nose to the chin?