Could my Crooked Nose Be Covered by Insurance? (photo)

I have a deviated septum. I had an accident about 10 years ago that probably caused it along with my crooked nose Q1) I was wondering if my nose would be straightened if I had a septoplasty.?Q2)Also would my insurance pay for it to be straight? Q2)If insurance won't pay, what would the additional cost be? I live in upstate ny. Q3)Also if I wanted to get my hump removed or a smaller tip how much more would that cost?

Will insurance cover the correction of a crooked nose?

+1

Sorry to hear about your accident. To answer your question, insurance companies will generally cover the functional aspect of surgery that will help improve your breathing. Any cosmetic issues would be separate. If there is a change that may result in better breathing that also happens to be cosmetic, such as fixing pinched nostrils, insurance may cover it. But it really depends on the insurance company and the nature of the issue. Cost can vary depending on the surgeon and what is necessary to obtain the desired result. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. They will be able to examine your nose in person and answer any questions you have. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Insurance and nasal reconstruction / rhinoplasty

+1

It is a clear cut story, but it really does come down to symptoms and deformity along with the type of insurance plan you have.  If you have a symptomatic residual problem from the fracture, your insurance will most likely cover the costs associated with repairing the functional issue.  If you desire any elective or cosmetic changes, that will be out of pocket costs you will have to pay.

Jay Calvert, MD

Septoplasty, humpectomy and insurance

+1

Thank you for the photo.  When you get examined, they will take additional views that will help the discussion.  In general, insurance companies don't like to pay for much.  That being said, they typically pay for a deviated septum if there is a functional impairment.  They typically don't pay for taking down humps or tip work.  Prices of cosmetic nose surgery vary widely.  Seek out an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist (ENT).  Look at his/her photos.  Take photos that you like with you to the consult.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Septoplasty and insurance

+1

Sorry you had an accident. Septal correction can be quite a challenge. 

• a lot depends on your insurance policy.
  • if the septum causes trouble breathing, insurance will usually pay
  • a second opinion may be required
  • Insurance doesn't pay for tip and hump alterations.
  • The plastic surgery fees in upstate NY are quite reasonable. 
  • May I suggest seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and a Board Certified ENT surgeon for their opinions? Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

+1

Septoplasty is only covered if you have unilateral nasal obstructive symptoms that is consistent with a septal deflection.  The rest of those items would not be covered, and would cost anywhere from $5000 to $10,000 or so.

Crooked Nose: Functional Vs Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to examine your photo, but I can appreciate that you have a curvature to the middle third of your nose. This is something that could benefit from septoplasty and possibly some (spreader) grafts to support the septum into a straighter shape.  It is difficult to examine the dorsal hump without a profile view photo, but hump and tip reduction can be done simultaneously. Insurance might pay for the septoplasty portion if you have nasal obstruction that can be attributed to what is seen on the internal nasal exam. Cosmetic fees vary across the country depending on the location and surgeon.

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Facial Plastic Surgeon