Do I Need My Crescent Lift Redone? Half Of My Areola Seems To Be Missing. (photo)

I has breast implants along with a crescent lift on one nipple. it was lifted2cm I am 14 days post opp&am panicking as half my areola on the inside of my nipple seems to be missing with a greater deal of it on the outside, the actual opposite to my untouched nipple!? I thought it would improved at first but its not changed or moved in two weeks:( ive read the areola is not cut in this procedure but the an inch of skin above and some around,is this correct? dr said i need to wait if not redone?

Crescent lift and areola appearance

+2

A crescent lift raises the areola only and may or may not include areola skin. At two weeks it is difficult to see the final result. You need to give it 3-6 months to settle.

Evaluation of the Crescent Lift

+2

It is still too early postop to completely assess the outcome of your surgery. The appearance of your breast and areola will continue to change over the next 6 months. From the photos you submitted your implants are still high and your areola is slightly contracted.... all normal for the early postoperative period. You should discuss these concerns with your physician. Are your breast softening, do you have normal sensation in the breast and areola. As your implant drops and settles in place and the postoperative swelling decreases the appearance of your breast and areola will change. I personally don't feel the crescent lift is an effective means of lifting the areola (as the other physicians have pointed out). Continue to be patient and talk to your surgeon.  

Charles A. Messa III, MD

Revision of Crescent Lift Necessary?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would suggest that you wait at least 3 to 6 months before evaluating the end results of surgery. You may find that the appearance of the breasts and areola will change significantly during this time period.

I would also suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon  to express your questions and concerns.

The areola will expand then become larger 3-6 months after breast lift and implants

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  14 days is too early to be worried.  Invariably as the implant drops and you've healed the areola will enlarge usually.  Following your plastic surgeons advice.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Crescent Lift

+1

Crescent lifts are of limited value and I have abandoned them because of their ineffectiveness.  The basic problem is that the top of the areola is stretched upward but the bottom of the areola stays attached.  Therefore you often get an elongated shape, minimal movement and a less than optimal scar.  In my experience, it is generally better to either accept the asymmetry that was present or to accept a circular incision around the entire areola that will result in better movement with less distortion.  As always, speak with your plastic surgeon.  In general, I would agree with waiting to allow everything to heal and then re-evaluate your result.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need My Crescent Lift Redone? Half Of My Areola Seems To Be Missing.

+1

The photos tell that the crescent was a poor option. You need a L-shaped or full lift at best. Sorry but a judgement error has occurred. 

Crescent lift

+1

I am not a fan of crescent lifts as they rarely accomplish much of anything so the short answer to your question would be not to redo a crescent lift.

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon