My Creases Were Increased by 4mm Skin and Some Fat Removed. One Lid is 3mm Larger Than the Other One, Can it be Fixed?

I had large fat removed by the inner corners. Now I hate the way my eyes look. I have wrinkles and folds of skin by the nose and I look like I have ptosis of the lids and one lid is 3mm larger than the other one and is droopy. Why would this happen and what can be done to fix it. I do not even know what to do as far as how to cope with leaving my house. How can I possible make this look ok for now. Can this be fixed?

Ptosis can be hidden by excess eyelid skin

+2

There are always three different areas to address and evaluate when addressing someones eyelids prior to surgery:

1 Brow position

2 Eyelid position [where the upper eyelid margin is positioned against the eyelid

3 Excess eyelid skin or fat [if any]

These areas need to be discussed with the patient prior to surgery so that they understand the limitations of one procedure versus another.

It is quite possible that you had more than one underlying issue and that just removing the skin/fat, did not address the other problems.

Your preoperative photos would be helpful. Please wait at least three months, retake your postop photos and post both the preop and postop photos for evaluation.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Asymmetry after Upper Blepharoplasty

+2

While you may have had some drooping or ptosis of the upper lid before the surgery that is now more obvious with the excess eyelid skin removed, it is also possible to see uneven eyelids due to normal postoperative swelling. Typically the majority of upper eyelid swelling is gone by the end of the second or third week after surgery. If there is still a significant difference between the eyelids, then a ptosis repair, or lifting of the eyelid, may be necessary.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

The ptosis will make it possible to improve the situation.

+2

I almost always perform some type of ptosis correction with every blepharoplasty.  The reality is that with time we all will blink enough to create upper eyelid ptosis.  Without the benefit of your before photos, I am going to guess you had some degree of ptosis before surgery that looks much worse now that skin has been removed.  Because you are only 2 weeks after surgery, you should allow yourself to heal.  In fairness to your surgeon, some heaviness may just be due to eyelid swelling and the difference in the two eyelids may diminish over the course of time.  Consider reposting with your photos.

Ptosis after blepharoplasty

+1

At two weeks post-surgery, you should give your eyes a few more weeks to heal so that you can see the actual result of your surgery. This asymmetry may simply be due to uneven swelling. It's possible that your eyes already had unevenness that the fat removal did not address. Consult with your surgeon; this problem is very likely fixable.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Asymmetry after Eyelid Surgery

+1

Lori,

What I gather from your post is that you have some ptosis, some crease asymmetry, and some excess upper lid skin.  It would be helpful to know what surgery was done and how long ago it was done.  Photos would also be helpful.  The good news is that I think there is a good chance that the appearance of your eyelids can be improved.  That having been said, I think you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If your surgeon is unable to address them, you should seek an opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon.  You can find a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery near you on their website, ASOPRS.org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon