Can my Congenital Ptosis Be Corrected? (photo)

I was born with congenital ptosis in my right eye. I am of Asian descent, and from what I read, our eyes are a little different to treat as opposed to those with double eyelids. My eyes are double lidded however, and I think this would not pose a problem. I am wondering if you could give me some initial feedback on my eyes before I come to an office for a consultation. Are there any other problems with my eye, besides the ptosis? Such as hollowness, excess skin, etc. Can I achieve symmetry?

Can my Congenital Ptosis Be Corrected?

+1

Best to obtain in person opinions than asking over the internet. Because we can not touch or feel the eye area to determine if other issues are at play here. 

Asian eyelid ptosis

+1

The two main problems with your right upper eyelid are ptosis and hollowness.  It is best to correct the ptosis first as lifting the eyelid can actually also fill in the hollowness to some extent.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Congenital droopy eyelid

+1
Your right eyelid has all the hallmarks of detached levator muscle – droopy eyelid, hollowness above the lid and the crease that’s higher than on the other side. You would require surgery to re-attach the levator muscle. This would correct most, if not all of the asymmetry of your eyelids. Make sure your surgeon discusses with you the surgical approach, recovery and expected outcome.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Congenital ptosis correction in Asian Eyes

+1

What you are describing is relatively common in some Asian eyes. It is possible to correct the ptosis and achieve reasonable symmetry. I would recommend going to a surgeon with experience in that area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis can be corrected

+1

It looks like the muscle (levator) is not attached right. That causes the ptosis and the hollowness above. Re-attaching the levator muscle can correct the ptosis and the hollowness.

Oculoplastic surgeons operate on a lot of ptosis. You should find someone who has significant experience operating on Asian eyelids for ptosis. Your doctor should be able to show you pictures of Asian eyelids like yours that he/she has operated on successfully.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon