Will my columella still lift? (4 months since surgery) (photo)

I had closed rhinoplasty 4 months ago to fix my hanging columella. Although I did immediately see a difference right after surgery I haven't seen it lift much since. I spoke with my doctor and he said it will still lift but in order for the results I want it has to lift another 4mm or so, and the tip has to begin to point slightly up instead of straight. Is it possible for it to change enough? I'm very nervous I won't see the results I was looking for as it isn't resembling the shape I desire.

Will my columella still lift? (4 months since surgery)

+1

It is too early to make a determination about the final result.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Will my columella still lift?

+1
It's unlikely your columella will "lift" anymore than it already has.  Initially after rhinoplasty surgery, the tip is rotated a bit more than it will end up due to swelling.  Then, it typically drops a bit and settles into it's final position.  You still have a fair amount of swelling in the tip still, so the overall appearance will improve over time.  Also, for future reference, the proper view for evaluating the alar-columellar relationship is the profile view.  Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Hanging Columella?

+1
The best view to diagnose a hanging columella is the lateral profile view with smiling. These frontal pictures don't mean very much in evaluating the columella other than the anterior one third of the columella looks better after surgery. There also may be residual swelling in the area that may take up to one year to resolve.

Consult and trust your surgeon. Be patient.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Will my columella still Lift

+1
Dear Cgirlcan, I believe I have answered a few earlier questions you have posted as I recognize your Cgirl name,  so hello again! One of the most important parts of rhinoplasty is making sure you and your surgeon are on the same page and that you have discussed your exact desires for surgery and that your surgeon can realize that through his/her work. I hope that you had this discussion with your surgeon and the best thing to do now is to reopen that discussion with your concerns. You have a lot of swelling in your tip and you still have some considerable time on your side for healing however I am not sure you are going to consider your final results exactly the same as your desired results. With that said, no need to be nervous you have a full year of recovery and then you can determine that then. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal tip

+1
I would try to be patient as there is obviously alot of swelling still present in your nose. I would express your concerns to your surgoen though. At a year what you see should be the final result. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon