Why was my clitoral hood left when my labia minora were excised as these were joined?

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

Thank you very much for your kind question.

It is very difficult to comment here. I am not sure what was discussed at your consultations and what the agreed operative plan was.

Generally, most Plastic Surgeons will view a labia minora reduction, a labia majora reduction and a clitoral hood reduction as three separate procedures. Depending on a patient's anatomy and wishes, some of these can be combined together but often the surgeon may decide it is in the patient's best interests to perform them as a staged procedure.

Obviously each one is a technically intricate procedure that would usually be costed separately.

Please do speak to your surgeon once more and discuss your concerns and wishes

Paul Banwell, Consultant Plastic Surgeon, London, UK

London Plastic Surgeon

The Banwell Clinic
East Grinstead, W Sussex RH19 3EB

Clitoral Hood Untreated at Labiaplasty?

Not every labia minora reduction requires a clitoral hood reduction and not every patient that would benefit from a clitoral hood reduction wants one. Nonetheless, a thorough examination at the time of your initial consultation with your surgeon should have included a discussion of what your concerns were at the time, what your anatomy displayed at all of these areas at that time, and what you wanted to achieve aesthetically with surgery at that time. It certainly involves extra time and effort, but whenever there is excess tissue at the clitoral hood and labiaplasty is being discussed or considered, it needs to be addressed in establishing a treatment plan.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

350 Kennedy Boulevard
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

Some surgeons prefer staged labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to help identify the next plan of action in your revision. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Vaginal rejuvenation

consists of separate anatomical parts... the hood, the labia minora and labia majora. There are specific and different procedures for each part. If your hood is excessive at this point, you should see your surgeon for options, especially if you are delighted with your initial procedure. Sometimes the hood is not appreciated as much until the labia minora are reduced. In others, it is obvious and usually discussed during the consultation and when the patient expressed her concerns.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Clitoral hood remaining after labia reduction

Reduction of the clitoral hood is a separate procedure for most doctors. Most surgeons avoid the hood because of fear of causing damage to sensation. The type of hood reduction depends on the patients anatomy and desires. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue. If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.

Gary J. Alter, MD

416 North Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210