Why was my clitoral hood left when my labia minora were excised as these were joined?

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

+2

Thank you very much for your kind question.

It is very difficult to comment here. I am not sure what was discussed at your consultations and what the agreed operative plan was.

Generally, most Plastic Surgeons will view a labia minora reduction, a labia majora reduction and a clitoral hood reduction as three separate procedures. Depending on a patient's anatomy and wishes, some of these can be combined together but often the surgeon may decide it is in the patient's best interests to perform them as a staged procedure.

Obviously each one is a technically intricate procedure that would usually be costed separately.

Please do speak to your surgeon once more and discuss your concerns and wishes

Cheerio

Paul Banwell, Consultant Plastic Surgeon, London, UK

Web reference: http://www.paulebanwell.com/treatments.php?page=labial-reduction

London Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

+1
Some surgeons prefer staged labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to help identify the next plan of action in your revision. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Web reference: http://karemd.com/plastic-surgery/33/labiaplasty.aspx

Vaginal rejuvenation

+1

consists of separate anatomical parts... the hood, the labia minora and labia majora. There are specific and different procedures for each part. If your hood is excessive at this point, you should see your surgeon for options, especially if you are delighted with your initial procedure. Sometimes the hood is not appreciated as much until the labia minora are reduced. In others, it is obvious and usually discussed during the consultation and when the patient expressed her concerns.

Clitoral hood remaining after labia reduction

+1

Reduction of the clitoral hood is a separate procedure for most doctors. Most surgeons avoid the hood because of fear of causing damage to sensation. The type of hood reduction depends on the patients anatomy and desires. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue. If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.