Could my Chin Be the Reason I Am Unhappy with my Profile? (photo)

I am 21 and recently had a rhinoplasty. A week after my splint was removed I couldn't help thinking my tip still protruded too much, though I understand swelling takes longest to go away in the tip and I shouldn't make any judgements until then. While looking through rhinoplasty photos to see if my nose's length really is fine and it might all be in my head I noticed many patients had a chin implant/augmentation done along with their rhinoplasties. Would I benefit from a procedure on my chin?

Nose and Chin Surgery

+2

Hello Josie10- You seem to be assessing your results and profile in a very reasonable manner. It does take time for swelling in the nasal tip and supra tip areas to resolve, so continue being patient. If not improved to your satisfaction in 6-12 months after surgery, consider talking to your surgeon about the pros and cons of refining your nose and nasal tip further. In the meanwhile, I think you would love having some filler placed in your chin and balancing out your profile! See how that goes for you. A chin implant is sometimes needed these days and can be done at a later date. 

Good luck to you.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation can be performed either with Surgery or with Fillers

+2

Josie10, this is a great question.  You are right in saying many patients get chin augmentation with their rhinoplasties.  These two procedures often work well together in improving the profile.

1. Your chin is actually pretty good and you could benefit from even just a small amount of augmentation, making you a good candidate for either surgical or non-surgical augmentation. 
  2. If you are considering chin augmentation, a really neat tip is to ask your surgeon to place some salt water along the mandible for you to see what augmentation would look like.  It lasts for 10 minutes and is very safe. 
  3. Chin augmentation is one of my favorite procedures because of the ease of the procedure combined with very high patient satisfaction   Good luck!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

? CHIN AUGMENATION

+1

Without properly positioning your head, it is hard to tell from these photos.  You are just 1 week post op and lots of things change over the next 18 months.  I would talk to your surgeon.  If he/she thought you needed a chin implant, I assume that was discussed pre op.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation combination

+1

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation are performed for patients who have a weak chin profile and overly projecting nose. The chin implant can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, are placed thru a submental incision. For examples of the combination of rhinoplasty and  chin augmentation, please see the link below